Talk

Advanced search

Glass shower screens

(18 Posts)
JammyTodger Wed 17-May-17 09:55:18

Does anyone have any miracle, super quick methods for getting shower screens beautifully sparkly? I'm a housekeeper for a holiday home with 4 bathrooms and a LOT of watermarked glass. I seem to spend half my time at work polishing the bloody things! (Currently soak with Windolene, squeegee and polish with miracle cloth.)

MrsJayy Wed 17-May-17 09:58:42

Window hoover Dh bought the kracher one its brilliant you do need to buff a little after using it but gets rid of any scum

JammyTodger Wed 17-May-17 11:55:43

Thanks MrsJ. I even already have one of those, but never thought to use it on the screens. I'll give it a go tomorrow...

MrsJayy Wed 17-May-17 11:58:05

Good luck i grotty shower screen is soul destroying <dramatic>

gaggiagirl Wed 17-May-17 12:01:03

I use a bleachy rough sponge. Rinse, squeegee then window cleaner on a piece of kitchen roll to buff up. Doesn't take long but then I've only got one!

hellrazor Wed 17-May-17 12:14:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FinallyHere Wed 17-May-17 12:15:20

How hard is the water? A water softener might make things a tad easier.

NotMeNoNo Wed 17-May-17 12:20:25

CIF for really scummy bits with a green scourer.
White vinegar is also very impressive on glass and just polish off with a rag/old towel.

NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll Wed 17-May-17 12:29:03

Someone on here recently recommended using toilet cleaner so gave mine a squirt of harpic, left it while I did the basin and then wiped it down and rinsed and it's like new glass!!
Have wasted years using vinegar, cillit bang, scrubbing....not any more

NeoTrad Wed 17-May-17 12:30:25

HG has a fabulous anti calcium spray.

CatsAreAliens Wed 17-May-17 12:34:03

Viakal spray

Picklepickle123 Wed 17-May-17 12:34:24

Once you've done the scummy bits, a scrunched up piece of newspaper and windex is a good way to avoid streaks in the final polish.

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Wed 17-May-17 12:35:03

I use a magic eraser on mine. They're brilliant!

CatsAreAliens Wed 17-May-17 12:35:50

Viakal spray

xyzandabc Wed 17-May-17 12:36:53

Viakal. Leave for 5 mins, wipe off with a green scourer. Rinse, squeegee, dry with an e cloth.

RolandRat Wed 17-May-17 14:44:38

m.youtube.com/watch?v=pWe9bgKulK4

I deep cleaned the bathroom in our new home last weekend after watching the above video, with AMAZING results. I don't think the previous owners were fans of cleaning as the glass was so watermarked it looked frosted!

If you can't be bothered to watch, basically you first give the glass a quick rub over with lots of lemon juice (bought a bottle, couldn't face squeezing them!) on a scourer. Leave for 10 minutes, then a light scrub with a paste of bicarbonate of soda and vinegar on a scourer (paste is approx 3 parts bicarb to 1 part vinegar). Didn't take much elbow grease at all! Next time I'm going to leave the paste on the glass for an hour to see if I can get it even cleaner.

JammyTodger Wed 17-May-17 14:59:24

Thanks all. I'm going to try everything!

JammyTodger Wed 17-May-17 14:59:44

Thanks all. I'm going to try everything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now