Talk

Advanced search

Washing sofa covers

(9 Posts)
OhDearToby Wed 17-May-17 08:46:39

Our sofa is erm...well loved. 2 dc and a dog have left it looking pretty grubby but it's comfy and huge and to replace it would be ££££.

The covers are removable and according to the label are 83% polyester and 17% cotton. Sponge clean only. Would I be crazy to throw one in the washing machine on a very gentle cycle and see how it comes out? My other option is hiring one of those rug doctor things and attacking it with the upholstery tool.

Cornishmumofone Wed 17-May-17 08:51:48

Does it come with matching cushions? Try one of those first, if you can. Washing it may remove stain preventer/flame retardant etc... But if it's really old and grubby that might not bother you.

OhDearToby Wed 17-May-17 09:14:02

No matching cushions unfortunately but all the seat cushions are separately covered so would do one of the corner ones first as a trial because I could hide that with throws etc if needs be.

dotandstripe Wed 17-May-17 09:21:35

I washed mine when it had a drink spilt on it and it was fine. They might shrink a bit though so try to shape them when damp to stretch them.

Maudlinmaud Wed 17-May-17 09:23:29

I throw mine in the machine every few months. I have a cream and beige sofa in one room so it's a must. I put them on a gentle cycle and nothing has ever happened. Have a very large corner sofa so I split the load and wash two covers at a time. Only thing that bugs me is putting them back on as it's fiddly. I did have a man come in to steam clean them at first but just took a chance on washing them myself.

OhDearToby Wed 17-May-17 11:36:29

Thanks.

I did some googling and found advice to put them back on when slightly damp to prevent them getting out of shape which makes sense but will have to wait for a sunny day so I can leave them in the garden to dry completely I guess.

Nanasueathome Wed 17-May-17 11:39:32

I regularly wash mine (4 sofas...a messy dog)
Wash on a cold setting
Maybe a bit tight to get back on to the cushions but I've always managed and never had a problem

OhDearToby Wed 17-May-17 13:03:40

Right I'm going to try it!

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to wash them with? I'd like some kind of stain remover I think. They really are quite gross.

Cornishmumofone Wed 17-May-17 23:03:41

Sports wash is good, if you can get hold of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now