Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What else can you put in a washing machine?

(41 Posts)
BusyBee2017 Wed 17-May-17 07:59:35

I recently started a thread about what else I can put in a dishwasher and I was so surprised at the stuff I had not thought of and thought I may be missing a few tricks with the washing machine too.

Somebody already mentioned putting a non slip bath mat in the washing machine or dishwasher.

Do you guys put anything else in the washing machine other than clothes?

WellErrr Wed 17-May-17 08:00:19

Baby toys in a pillowcase.

ParadiseCity Wed 17-May-17 08:00:49

Crocs in the dishwasher

I did put my bin lid in the dishwasher but now there's a crack in the catch....

BusyBee2017 Wed 17-May-17 08:54:00

Thanks never thought of toys in a pillowcase ... I do the cuddly toys in the machine but didn't think about the plastic toys

That's a shame your bin lid cracked in the dishwasher., unfortunately I cannot put my lid in the bin because it is a sensor bin so has batteries etc but I can put the worktop bin in the dishwasher

NotAPuffin Wed 17-May-17 09:13:46

Shower curtains.

namechange20050 Wed 17-May-17 09:16:42

Shoes! Bags. Shopping bags.

anon1987 Wed 17-May-17 09:44:09

Kids lunch bags. They say wipe clean only but I discovered (after years of buying and replacing them) that they come up brand new in the wash!

BusyBee2017 Wed 17-May-17 10:22:25

Yeah I have put a few material shopping bags in the wash they say wipe clean. DS1 gave me a personalised bag for Mother's Day with his handprints worried that elll get ruined in the wash

PenelopeFlintstone Wed 17-May-17 11:32:00

School backpacks turned inside out.

e1y1 Wed 17-May-17 11:39:46

I have successfully washed in the washer

- Handbags (not the finest leather ones, just the everyday ones from Next etc)
- Rucksacks
- Flipflops/Crocs
- Slippers
- Timberland Boots - Mens size 10 (Biggest achievement grin.
- Shower curtains
- Scrub bursh for your back in the bath

I'm sure many many others.

I'm a lot more flexible with what I put in the washer that the dishwasher, as although I know they clean at very high temps with strong detergents, it is still the thing that cleans everything you eat and drink with.

I read on here once, a poster puts her BOG BRUSH in the DW shock

BusyBee2017 Wed 17-May-17 11:57:47

Eww that is gross a toilet brush in the dishwasher what the hell was the person thinking!

That's a good list I am really impressed with timberlands!!! I thought they would get wrecked I think I should put mine in the washing machines

e1y1 Wed 17-May-17 12:10:18

Yeah I thought the same with the Timberlands, but was at the point of "nothing ventured, nothing gained".

One word of advice, they will make a racket whilst tumbling. Also depending on your washer, maybe turn the spin speed down, as the higher the spin, the more vibration there will be with the Timberlands in.

Your machine should be fine, but there is always the off chance it will shake itself to death grin

BusyBee2017 Wed 17-May-17 12:11:44

lol that's funny

Mine are a bit dented anyway... but not that dirty to put in machine lol maybe in the future I will do so

ChambourcyHippopotamousse Wed 17-May-17 12:16:47

I always put a few old towels in the washing machine with shoes/boots. Less noisy smile

anon1987 I was just thinking about replacing DS's lunch bags, but I'll give washing them a go!

lborgia Wed 17-May-17 13:04:36

I put everything into the washing machine and dishwashergrin- WM - pillows, gardening gloves, cashmere, curtains, silk, football boots, backpacks, lunch bags, sofa covers, longchamp handbags. . Not usually in the same load of course. As I can vary the kind of detergent, temp, and speed of spin I can't think why not really.

These sandwich wraps are brilliant. .. put them in the WM or DW I'm sure there are similar in uk.

anon1987 Wed 17-May-17 13:32:13

Chambourcy yeah give it a go. I used to spend a fair bit replacing them every term once they were stained and manky looking. Now I just bung them in the wash and they come out practically brand new.
Let me know how yours turn out smile

MrsJayy Wed 17-May-17 13:36:25

Trainers and converse , im in awe of the timberlands though grin i put my hall carpet runner in when our cat was sick on it.

MrsJayy Wed 17-May-17 13:37:59

I have put my handbags in the washing machine i have a few kipling canvas ones that were a bit manky came out a treat

oldkeywest Sun 21-May-17 00:04:33

DFS suede cushions covers, came up great!

MrsBadger Sun 21-May-17 00:09:25

Doormats, schoolbags, hats and caps (the Cubs ones run appallingly)

MeIAm Sun 21-May-17 16:53:17

I feel a bit silly asking this but here goes ...

Is it just canvas/material handbags you can wash in machine? I know not expensive or leather ones but what about just everyday bags?

If machine washing them is a big no, anybody have a way I can clean mine? I can wipe over the outside but can I do anything with the lining part?

KatherinaMinola Sun 21-May-17 16:56:44

You can put Lego in the washing machine - tied (very tightly) inside a pillowcase, on a low temperature.

MrsJayy Sun 21-May-17 17:12:58

Yeah just material handbagsl i put in. Ooo I Forgot i used to was Duplo/lego in the washing machine too was years before mumsnet so must have been told that little secret by somebody

e1y1 Mon 22-May-17 00:19:19

MelAm

Yes, I have put leather ones from Next in, they came out fine.

I'm sure the "better" ones would be fine too, but if they're best-best ones, I wouldn't risk it.

MrsJayy Mon 22-May-17 00:34:01

I have a few lighter leather handbags that are a bit manky inside i might bung them in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now