Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Old sheets

(14 Posts)
StripeyCurtains Sat 13-May-17 16:56:52

Any ideas of what to do with old sheets. I've got loads of old single sheets that I don't use anymore and some doubles (but the elastic has gone in the corners.

I want to get rid of them but am not sure of the best way. My local recycling depot doesn't accept any bedding.

Plunkette Sun 14-May-17 04:07:56

What about your local freecycle or your local Salvation Army?

fiftyplustwo Sun 14-May-17 04:40:53

You could save them and when you start sewing, a dress for instance, you use them for your toile. (The word "toile" refers to a test garment (generally) sewn from cheap cloth. Then you sew it in the expensive cloth, once you know the pattern will fit and doesn't need further changes.)

dodgydonkeysdoodah Sun 14-May-17 04:41:18

Any charity shop will take them. They sell them on for scrap - there are all sorts of uses for textiles which have outlived their useful lives - polishing cloths for industry, shredded into fluff for insulation etc.
Just put them in a bag marked "rags" so that the volunteers don't waste time sorting them. Many "chain" charity shops dispose of a relatively large proportion of their donations this way, only selling the best, most saleable, intact.

fiftyplustwo Sun 14-May-17 04:41:42

Or you give them to someone you know has this hobby, sewing.

DisorderedAllsorts Sun 14-May-17 05:06:22

If the single sheets are in a good serviceable condition then donate to your nearest homeless shelter/refuge.

Thegreatunslept Sun 14-May-17 06:28:43

Animal shelters are often very grateful for bedding to use.

happydays2017 Sun 14-May-17 06:58:39

Hide one in your bin every week!

amysmummy12345 Sun 14-May-17 07:10:59

Vets and animal charities use a lot of bedding!!

WellyMummy Sun 14-May-17 07:27:21

Schools often request fabric like clean old bedding and would be very grateful to have it.

Whileweareonthesubject Sun 14-May-17 07:50:11

If you have school age dcs, you can use the sheets to make some of the costumes they need for dressing up days, it Xmas plays etc. In the past I've bought flat sheets as a cheap way if buying a decent quantity of fabric fairly cheaply, to make costumes for Victorian day , Roman day, Tudor day, book character day (Hogwarts uniform) .

wowfudge Sun 14-May-17 08:25:55

I keep old sheets and curtains which I don't think can be passed on to anyone else and use them as dustsheets.

ApplebyFair Sun 14-May-17 08:29:38

My DP's daughter is a vet and they always want towels and bedding!

Vinorosso74 Sun 14-May-17 10:34:05

Yes to an animal shelter-sheets and cut open pillowcases are v useful cat carrier covers!
I do find it useful to have some at home as dust sheets when decorating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now