Talk

Advanced search

Daily housework routines?

(23 Posts)
mintmagnummm Thu 11-May-17 14:31:57

Ok so what's your housework routines? And what do u do on a daily basis? Mine is....

Once a week thorough clean bathroom, me suite and downstairs loo. Hoover cushions, curtains and blinds. Wash towels.

Once a fortnight I change bedding.

On alternate days I dust, Hoover and mop upstairs and downstairs (so one day do all downstairs and the next all upstairs)

Daily I do washing, ironing, clean all toilets and wipe around sinks/bath etc with sink of hot water and zoflora, clean kitchen sides every day after lunch/dinner.

Then as and when needed or can be bothered I empty and clean bins, clean inside and outside fridge and microwave, clean all windows inside (have window cleaner for outside).

Erm have I missed anything??hmmconfused

CocoLoco87 Fri 12-May-17 15:19:53

Can you come round and do this to my house please? It sounds wonderful! I will also need you to sort out my front porch. grin I will pay you in rice cakes and raisins. When can you start?

mintmagnummm Fri 12-May-17 19:45:02

grin* coco*

TittyGolightly Fri 12-May-17 19:48:29

Sounds insane to me. Toilets don't need cleaning every day.

EmmaC78 Fri 12-May-17 19:50:09

I clean thoroughly once a week and then just do washing up and clothes washing the rest of the time. I don't really have time to do much else.

justdontevenfuckingstart Fri 12-May-17 19:53:41

Spray bleach at the toilets, hoover and dust the living room frantically and clean the downstairs loo before the kids come round on a Sunday morning.
Change the bed sheets when I can be bothered.
Sweep dog hair and bits of twig and bones and hair into a corner sometimes.
I think I sometimes mop the kitchen floor.
Stare at my windows and french doors covered with dog slobber.
Do keep on top of the laundry because of work uniform.

llangennith Fri 12-May-17 20:01:51

No routine. If it needs doing I do it. Sometimes.

tammytheterminator Fri 12-May-17 21:18:36

You clean the toilets and sinks every day but only change your bedding fortnightly? confused

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Fri 12-May-17 21:56:45

Hoovering curtains doesn't tend to happen weekly here, but bedding is changed weekly.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 12-May-17 22:00:38

Dust, hoover and mop every other day ... that is loads! Hoover once a week if possible. Dusting ... weeks in between.

Good for you. Your house must look lovely!

e1y1 Sat 13-May-17 04:48:13

Sounds pretty much like mine, only one difference and that is the dusting.

Yes, toilets need to be cleaned daily (sometimes x3 a day) if you have men someone who seem to leave "streaks" down the back of the bowl.

YY - hoovering every day - the single biggest thing that makes a difference to how clean the house looks it clean floors, and because it keeps the dust right down, only need to dust once a week - so that is my only difference, I dust weekly.

mintmagnummm Sat 13-May-17 07:01:46

Thanks for all the replies so far.

If you are going to just insult me though then just don't bother!

Yes I clean toilets daily, it takes 5 seconds! I don't mean I scrub it daily I just use a dettol wipe and squirt some stuff down! I like to always have clean loos. As for only changing bedding fortnightly I don't see anything wrong with that! We all shower daily here and are clean when we go to bed, in the warm summer months if we have been sweating then obvs I change them more.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 13-May-17 07:12:20

If you wanted to cut down I wouldn't have thought you need to dust the same place on alternate days (if I've read your post correctly).

I personally wash my bedding weekly just because I love getting into a clean bed but DDs is fortnightly.

I then have a list of occasional jobs that only need doing once in a while that I try and do one or two of weekly if that makes sense. It at least gives me a sense of being on top of things. This is my list.

Outside
Wash door & front step & light
Clean out the drains
Wash the patio
Wash patio furniture & re varnish
Re-stock wood for chiminea
Clean & maintain BBQ

General
Clean out cupboard under the stairs
Wash the curtains & cushion covers
Sort out loft
Treat anything that needs waterproofing
Put coats in for dry cleaning
Stock up on lightbulbs, label them all
Stock up on shoe cleaning kit
Clean all shoes
Review all furniture and storage, still appropriate use?
Sort out all books, magazines, recipes
Sort through medical boxes & restock
Plan re-decorating, decorator
Restock all cards, gift wrap box and presents

Garage
Deep clean car, pump tyres up
Stock up on screen wash & de icer
Clean out garage
Wash bikes
Clean tools

Kitchen
Get boiler serviced
Use up as much product as possible in cupboards and freezer
Update Meal plan
Descale the kettle
Sweep & mop under appliances
Defrost freezer
Clean filters on washing machine and do an empty boil wash
Replace filter on cooker hood
Clean tops & inside of all unitary
Sort through cupboards, get rid of out of date products, restock
Replace washing up bowl, brush and cloth
Book Ovenu to deep clean oven

Bedrooms
Wash pillows and duvets & throws
Turn over and Hoover mattress
Clean inside & top of wardrobes
Re-line drawers
Sort through all clothes, shoes & accessories, give excess to charity
Get shoes repaired/re-heeled

Bathroom
Sort through all toiletries, restock
Clean inside cupboard/cabinet
Descale shower head

DD
Sort through all toys and get rid
Sell last size of clothes
Buy next size of clothing

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 13-May-17 07:19:09

Kitchen as and when it needs doing.
Bathrooms as and when or every couple of days.
Tidy up every day, kids toys etc plus go round the house after the dc have gone to bed just picking up and putting away. Since doing this I now have to 'clean' a lot less.

Robovac does the hall/kitchen floors every couple of days to keep them clean, plus I vacuum the lounge every day as we have a white carpet. Stairs and bedrooms once a week.

Once a week if I get a child free day I will do a proper clean, or will spend a few hours over two days doing it.

I used to be more like you, would do a lot daily. But no one notices, and unless you do it every day there's very little difference between the dirt that accumulates after two days or three. Seriously. I can't clean my whole house in a day anyway so it became a never ending and never completed task that was beginning to make me unhappy. Now I focus on it being tidy, no clutter, kitchen and bathroom clean obviously, and take ds out or in the garden instead. My house is still as clean as it was when I did it every day, plus I have more time to do things like wipe the paintwork etc so in many ways it looks cleaner.

TittyGolightly Sat 13-May-17 08:56:02

I just use a dettol wipe and squirt some stuff down! I like to always have clean loos.

Unless you're eating food off them, YABU. Your wipes and squirts are killing the planet.

mintmagnummm Sat 13-May-17 11:33:05

Titty i didn't post on the AIBU thread and how am I killing the planet when I throw the wipe in the bin and the stuff I squirt down is ecover!! I'm not having a debate over this ffs so if you reply again with some over negative comment I shall ignore.

TittyGolightly Sat 13-May-17 13:32:17

The wipe ends up in landfill. hmm

TittyGolightly Sat 13-May-17 13:33:36

And the ingredients in ecover aren't great for water supplies. Especially when over used.

But sure. Your great grandkids will be thrilled your toilets were clean.

TittyGolightly Sat 13-May-17 13:34:58

Post stupid shit on the internet, expect to get educated.

BertieBotts Sat 13-May-17 13:40:35

I have a checking list for each room of things to check. If they need doing I do them, if not I don't. It's great because it makes me feel like I've cheated all the housework away somehow!

Living room
Sofa + coffee table straight/clear
Cups and plates to kitchen
Rubbish, empty bin
Random stray clothing
Clear dining table
(Extra: Dust, hoover, organise shelf)

Hallway
Shoe rack random items
Put away any washing on the airer which is dry
(Extra: Sweep/Mop)

Kitchen
Check status of dishwasher
Check any bins to take out
Empty sink
Wipe down counters
(Extra: Sweep/mop floor, clean sink, wipe appliances)

Bathroom
Take any wet washing out of machine
Check bins + empty containers
Wipe sink, bath, toilet

Bedrooms
Check laundry bins + do washing
Pick up floor clothes
Make beds

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 13-May-17 13:53:24

Microfibre cloths for dusting, they catch all the dust up quickly and can be washed and reused

Tumble dryer sheets for dusting the TV because they're anti-static

'Big' clean at weekends (vacuuming etc), other smaller bits during the week as needed. Bins sorted Thursday night for Friday bin day. Laundry at the weekend (DH's job). DS1 does the dishwasher. DS2 sorts the dining table (setting, clearing, changing linen, etc).

I give the bathroom a quick clean every morning before I jump in the shower. That way it never gets grotty. I clean the kitchen as I go while I'm cooking. Oven gets a quick wipe out after we've eaten and it has cooled down.

HappydaysArehere Tue 16-May-17 09:58:57

You have all exhausted me. I need a sit down or an excuse to go out somewhere. By the way, about the bedding change. That is done fortnightly but I always pull the duvet well back to air the bed. If practical open window. I sometimes leave it all day. Good luck to you energetic youngsters. Well done smile

Purple999Red Tue 16-May-17 11:51:07

cook everyday (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
sweep and mop the floors everyday
do general cleaning once a week
clean bathroom once a week (general cleaning)
do laundry every other day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now