Talk

Advanced search

What do you use to clean your leather handbags ?

(14 Posts)
GezFox Mon 08-May-17 22:03:39

Any tips or hints much appreciated ! X

Sgtmajormummy Mon 08-May-17 22:34:03

Cream furniture polish on a cloth if it's scratched or one of those Kiwi brand sponge pads (transparent or neutral) for a quick clean.

chickpeaburger Tue 09-May-17 10:53:12

Maybe I should be embarrassed but I've never cleaned one. Mind you I'm careful with my handbags and never put them on the ground or floor of a restaurant etc. They never look dirty blush

kkkkaty123 Tue 09-May-17 17:47:36

Baby wipes blush

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Tue 09-May-17 17:56:57

I use Radley leather cleaner and the protection cloths on all my bags.

SmokeCloak Tue 09-May-17 18:00:53

You have clean handbags?

SmokeCloak Tue 09-May-17 18:26:40

to clean*

EmmanuelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 09-May-17 18:51:48

You can get special wipes to clean leather. Although I have been known to put a bag in the washing machine in a pillow case (not recommending this per se but it seemed to work fine and bag survived!).

ChickenVindaloo2 Tue 09-May-17 21:22:15

I put my leather handbags in the washing machine on a gentle wash with a little bit of detergent and then put leather conditioner stuff on afterwards when they're dry. I do this before I put them away at the end of the relevant season.

I like the inside part of the bag to be clean, y'see, not just the outside. And my cat did pee in my seablue Fossil bag last year!

Lanaorana2 Tue 09-May-17 21:33:46

1. Sponge over with antibac, leave to mostly dry. Extra rub on clasps, zips, corners, handles the base - the gunky bits.

2. Repeat for lining (if it's filthy pull it out, hoover, sponge off, use a bit of ariel and scrub)

3. While still a touch damp, leather wipes or conditioning cream outside, air freshener inside.

Brilliant before you store them as well, when you pull them out again you get a basically new bag.

If you're doing an expensive bag, do the above but work the whole pot of conditioning cream in over a couple of days. Don't bother polishing it off, it will do that when you use it.

Good on Mulberries this, they soak up the good stuff and last for much longer, glowing classily. No use on aniline (nobbly) bags like some Chloe ones.

WellTidy Fri 12-May-17 12:28:43

What would work to remove the dark blue of denim stain where a yellow leather bag has rubbed against new jeans please? My lovely bright yellow Coach bag has a dark stain in the leather because of this, and I'm gutted.

VerySadInside Fri 12-May-17 12:29:17

Collinol leather gel, buy from mulberry.

Lanaorana2 Fri 12-May-17 21:29:55

No idea for denim, it's an indigo ie vegetable dye. Ask in dry cleaners.

indaba Sun 14-May-17 22:07:12

HAND BAGS IN WASHING MACHINES????

What sorcery is this?

I hate the inside of my bags being dirty. Can I really put them in a machine? What type of programme? What detergent?

Tips please. Am going to clear my diary . Am VERY excited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now