Talk

Advanced search

How to keep white bedding really white?

(22 Posts)
Polkadotties Sun 07-May-17 13:18:55

I've just treated myself to some beautiful pure white bedding.
Any tips on keeping it really white? Normally our white clothes are washed with Ariel liquid tabs.
Thanks smile

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Sun 07-May-17 13:23:05

Line drying, the sun helps bleach whites.

Bluntness100 Sun 07-May-17 13:27:07

I just wash mine with the same Ariel tabs, but always on their own. The beds get changed weekly and I've had all white linen on all the beds now for a couple of years. No greying yet. I think uou can get stuff for keeping whites white if they do grey.

NannyR Sun 07-May-17 13:31:18

I would use powder rather than liquid or tabs as powder has bleach in it and the liquids don't. I add a scoop of oxi action for whites stain remover too when I do a pure whites wash.

soupmaker Sun 07-May-17 16:11:28

I have white bedding which is over 10 years old and still really white. I line dry, use powder and have a whites only policy for the wash itself. Seems to work. Sunshine and line drying is limited during the winter so coloured stuff comes out then.

samatamfabahaba Sun 07-May-17 16:21:18

I use the sachets of Dr Something (so not helpful I know, it's a white box with blue writing. I've just run out so can't even check) to keep whites white and it's brilliant. We only use white bedding and it's all still lovely and bright white.

stargirl1701 Sun 07-May-17 16:22:50

Only wash with other whites. Sunshine.

BorisJohnsonsHair Sun 07-May-17 16:33:39

Wash only with other whites (not creams or ivories). Wash at 60 degrees (depending on material) with biological powder. Line dry if possible.

e1y1 Sun 07-May-17 20:38:53

Only wash white with white. Hotter washes where possible and POWDER detergent (either bio or non bio - they both contain bleach). Line drying will help, but following the above, it won't be a problem if you cannot line dry.

sparechange Sun 07-May-17 20:40:36

Scoop of vanish gold with each wash

C0untDucku1a Sun 07-May-17 20:43:06

By not letting a man sleep in them grin

sparechange Sun 07-May-17 21:43:23

countduckula
Teenagers with a penchant for fake tan are the biggest enemies of white bedding angry

Rockspin Sun 07-May-17 21:48:47

Once every few washes do a 90 degree, 60 the rest of the time. Add soda crystals (£1 a bag in most supermarkets) works better than vanish. We use this method in my launderette and our whites stay perfectly white grin

rollonthesummer Sun 07-May-17 21:50:39

Do you put the soda crystals in the drum or in the drawer?

ifeelcraptonight Sun 07-May-17 21:54:36

If it's cotton - then I'd wash with powder, and you need a good brand to keep whites white so ariel in this house, 90 degrees and line dry and stretch them out on the line so they don't need ironing.

Ace bleach is excellent every now and again and gets fake tan out (see my other thread!!)

ifeelcraptonight Sun 07-May-17 21:55:12

Oh and yes, do a whites only wash. I never wash whites with any other colour they go dingy

ErrolTheDragon Sun 07-May-17 21:58:45

Wash whites separately, if cotton at 60. I do that and tumbledry, white sheets still white.

CMOTDibbler Sun 07-May-17 22:00:44

In a whites only wash, unless its pure cotton don't wash at 95' - 40 is fine and won't cause greying through damaging synthetics, use a biological powder (Lidl or Daz) and a slug of Napisan.

I'm a slattern, but have white towels and bedding and they still look lovely after years of use this way

Rockspin Mon 08-May-17 06:17:31

@rollonthesummer soda crystals in the powder drawer.

fussychica Wed 10-May-17 17:42:32

I wash only whites together, use powder, wash at 50 degrees, add soda crystals and line dry when possible. Only my husband's pillow cases require pre bleaching.

AnnieAnoniMouse Wed 10-May-17 17:49:55

Sleep alone in them!

I throw one of these in.

I only put the bedding in, nothing else.

I only wash them at 40deg too

If there are any noticeable marks I put the Dr Beckmans sachet on that bit and wrap it up a bit. If it's blood then I do a cold wash. Line dry whenever possible. All my bedding is white and still very very white.

UndercoverSheets Tue 16-May-17 12:07:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now