Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need a new washing machine, help please!

(16 Posts)
Kione Tue 25-Apr-17 11:37:28

Our old one got really black on the rubber that seals the door, no amount of scrubbing would get rid of it. The drawer also got moldy.
When I go to family on holiday they do not have this problem and had the machine for 25 years! Mine is 7 years old. It was cheap-ish.
Any ideas of which one to get - if it is to do with the quality of the machine, or how to avoid from happening again?
Wd stopped using fabric conditioner as I read online this was part of the problem.
Thanks!

Bringmesunshite Tue 25-Apr-17 11:49:30

Completely place marking - in exactly the same position as you.
Our Bosch has done 13 years hard labour. Tempted to splash out on a Miele but seen recent reviews saying it's not worth it.

Kione Tue 25-Apr-17 11:50:28

I have asked in put local FB page too so will report my findings smile

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 25-Apr-17 11:57:05

I've never had a mouldy, niffy or slimey machine. I use mostly powder, a lot of 60 washes, a few 90, and almost never wash anything at less than 40
Try not to leave washing in there to sit any longer than necessary and also don't close the door unless the machine is actually going.

As for actual purchasing, I like a high spin, large drum, so I put those parameters in and then select price "low to high" and see what comes up.

With the proviso that I'd never knowingly buy a bastarding Hotpoint

rabbit123 Tue 25-Apr-17 12:49:30

It's definitely worth getting a Miele. Ours is fantastic and it doesn't take too long either.

Mouldy washers are caused by constant low temperature washes and liquid/pod detergents. Whatever machine you end up with, switch to a Bio or non bio powder and make sure you do regular hot washes (60 degrees minimum) for towels & bedding. This will help keep the machine clean

Bringmesunshite Tue 25-Apr-17 12:53:26

What model Miele do you have?

e1y1 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:00:39

Firstly, it is NEVER the machine that would cause this (if you think about it, all machines do the same basic thing - introduce water/soap solution to the drum and tumble clothes through it) - yes some machines will perform better than others etc, but the basics of a washing machine is the same.

It is how it used - the main reason we suffer these problems now and your mother/grandmother didn't is because of changes in washing habits.

The 2 main things that cause the mould is low-temperature washes and liquid based laundry detergents.

Washing in cool water all the time, will cause a build up of undissolved body oils/dirt/skin etc and the situation is made 10x worse if liquid/gel/capsule detergent is used - as NO liquid laundry product in the UK contains bleaching agents - whereas ALL Bio and Non Bio POWDERS do.

So if the user is using HOT washes every now and again and using POWDERS also, their machine will be a lot cleaner than a user who constantly uses cool washes (even a 40 degree wash is only 3 degrees over body temperature - and think of the oils on our skin).

The washing at 30 that is popular is good for the environment - but not at all good for machines and clothing (they usually need replacing sooner).

You're right about Fabric Softener, as this is essentially a grease based product, but if some hot washes are being run (as in 60 or 90 degree washes), then it doesn't have the chance to build up.

e1y1 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:02:06

Oops, just seen Rabbit has put the same thing (in a much shorter way than me too) grin

rabbit123 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:42:46

Bringmesunshite, my Miele is 9 years old now. It's a Premier W500 and was the cheapest Miele on sale at the time at £549. It's a fantastic washer, I wouldn't think twice about getting another one.

rabbit123 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:46:48

e1y1 GREAT response, love it! You're so right, my Mum had the same washer for about 25 years and it never went mouldy. She was ans still is a loyal Ariel powder user.

Bringmesunshite Tue 25-Apr-17 15:08:03

Thanks Rabbit. New washing machine- powder only. Regular hot wash. Leave door ajar when not in use. Got it.

SuperSheepdog Tue 25-Apr-17 18:18:46

The only problem with powder though is that it seems to fade clothes, fine for whites but not colours (I just read the which guide blush ). Presumably using powders for whites and liquids for colours may be OK?

rabbit123 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:55:55

I don't use liquid at all and haven't noticed any over fading. Clothes will always fad regardless as there's chlorine in our tap water which will fade colours over time anyway

Remember the days before liquid existed and we seemed to manage just fine.

HappydaysArehere Thu 27-Apr-17 15:41:45

I use Fairy non bio gel. Put straight into the machine. No mould and no smells after three years. I run on 40 for various garments, 60 for sheets, towels etc but also make sure it goes on 90 every week or two. Occasionally find the 15 useful for things I am worried about but make sure a 90 is used not long after. I noticed a friend of mine had a lot of black mould around her machine but she has told me that she uses 15 for nearly everything.

e1y1 Thu 27-Apr-17 18:44:33

Thanks Rabbit smile - Same here, Grandmother, mother, infact anyone in the generations above mentioned the slightest issue about mould/smell.

Only when the cool temp washing came around it became an issue, you have to think is it more environmentally friendly to wash in cool all the time but then send machines/clothes to landfill as they're prematurely destroyed?

yikesanotherbooboo Thu 27-Apr-17 19:04:36

Yes to all advice re mould ; personally I look for a large drum and a quick wash, variety of temperatures and decent ecocredentials. I dry on airers. Or the line and don't thrash things with the spin dryer .
If it is in the kitchen it needs to be quiet.
I'm not bothered about spin speeds.
I wash almost all clothes on 30 delicates with Lidl liquid
Towels and sheets and men's shirts on 40 cottons ( occasionally 60 ) and the cleaning cloths/ rags on 90 both using Lidl powder
I never use fabric conditioner but often soak in powder or vanish overnight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now