Talk

Advanced search

Laundrettes. What do I do?

(13 Posts)
Misspilly88 Mon 24-Apr-17 09:25:17

Feeling rather pathetic but we need to use a Laundrette because our washing machine and dryer are out of order (building work). How on earth do they work? Feeling pretty nervous about walking into one and not having a clue what to do. Do they have coin machines where you can change notes? How long would a wash and a dry take? I'm hoping to go whilst lo is at preschool but only have 2 hrs. Do you have to wait with your washing? Do you take your own washing powder?

MrsJayy Mon 24-Apr-17 09:28:07

Not been to one in years yes im sure there is coin machines in them but if you have £coins take them the machines are usually quicker than domestic machines dont panic

MrsJayy Mon 24-Apr-17 09:30:03

Take your own washing powder the one i used to use had an attendant who would watch your machine if you had to nip away I used them for weeks till we could afford a new washing machine

Roomba Mon 24-Apr-17 09:33:04

The one near me doesn't have a coin machine so I'd have to take plenty £1s, 20ps and 50ps (for the dryers).

Is it possible to nip in and check how much the machines cost per wash, which coins you'll need and whether you need to take powder (some places add powder for you automatically)?

Polly2345 Mon 24-Apr-17 09:33:43

I only use them occasionally for bulky things like sleeping bags. Machines have always taken coins and there have been coin machines. Some have attendants, some don't. Take a book!

ThatsNotMyMummy Mon 24-Apr-17 09:33:46

Take your own washing powder and lots of change. One i use only takes 50p's you just feed into the machine. Another one has a big machine that takes all silver or gold coins you then select which machine you want and which wash. They take a bit more than your average domestic machine, so you might find getting a colour catcher sheet and mixing your loads is more cost effective.
At mine its about £4.00 a wash and £3.00 - £5.00 to dry.
I take a book and a coffee and enjoy the peace, its quite nice. It doesn't take as long as a domestic machine so waiting is feasible.

JakeBallardswife Mon 24-Apr-17 09:35:15

I used one to dry a big duvet. It seems that those washing clothes had a priority for the driers which was fair enough and you needed lots of 20p's and 50p's. They were super quick though, we were bottom of the queue, there is a strict order though. Wasn't a particularly pleasant experience. In future I'd probably use a service wash and pay. Take your own washing powder.

starfishmummy Mon 24-Apr-17 09:37:34

They might do a service wash. So basically you pay a bit more nd the attendant does the wash for you.

Years since I used one but often the clothes are wetter when they come out of the washer than they would be at home. So look to see if there is a separate spin dryer. Its worth using as it cuts down time (and cost) in the tumble dryers or if you are taking your stuff home to dry it means its lighter to carry and not dripping everywhere!

TupperwareTat Mon 24-Apr-17 09:38:37

I had to check one out for an older lady last week.

They had 3 different size machines.
£4.
£5.
£6.

Can you dry it at home?

wowfudge Mon 24-Apr-17 11:34:22

Take your stuff separated into bags for different washes and ask for service washes including drying and folding. Then you don't have to hang around.

PippaFawcett Mon 24-Apr-17 11:37:07

We used one for a while one winter to dry our clothes and it was great because the tumble driers are industrial sized so everything gets done really quickly! Saved us having washing hanging around on airers all week.

Take lots and lots of change and we used to sit and wait otherwise people would chuck your clothes out when the cycle finished.

Misspilly88 Mon 24-Apr-17 14:50:53

Thanks so much for your info all. Feeling much braver now!!

Flamingale Mon 24-Apr-17 23:26:28

I've use a launderette quite often to dry my clothes even though I have a washer dryer. Also used the washing machines when my own has packed up.

The launderette drier takes a huge amount of clothes and dries them a lot quicker (especially if you do a fast spin at home first).

Yes the launderette washers are very quick but clothes come out quite wet. I think this is so that you use more money in the driers wink

I will never get a service wash done as they put the clothes in the baskets in front of the driers where everyone and his cat put the bags they brought the clothes in which have been left on the floor. Then to top it all large items like sheets and duvets are sometimes dragged on the floor. Not nice. No one will take care of your stuff like you will. So be warned!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now