Talk

Advanced search

Any tips of food preparation for the week

(17 Posts)
2015mom Sat 22-Apr-17 22:23:32

I am trying to do as much food prep as I can.

I plan to do cooking for 3/4 days ahead as I the food will be fine in the fridge.

I peeled a bag of onions today and diced and sliced them and put them in freezer bags.

Tomorrow I will dice and also slice the bag of peppers which I will also freeze so it's easier when cooking in future.

Any more tips?

I made prawn and pancetta spaghetti - some leftover so I will freeze remainder for a meal another day.

I boiled New potatoes ready to heat for dinner on Monday evening. I will peel and boil vegetables tomorrow for the rest of Monday dinner so all I have to do is make pork chops.

I had some lentil curry in freezer so I cooked some onions and put lentil curry in the saucepan to defrost and ready to use for lunch tomorrow with leftover rice and also leftover dough to make chappatis.

Have you guys got any tips for food prepping for the week ahead.

How far ahead do you prep for?

Snap8TheCat Sat 22-Apr-17 22:25:42

Next time just buy a bag of frozen onions, peppers, mushrooms etc. Saves even more time!

OhTheRoses Sat 22-Apr-17 22:34:50

I do a huge spag vol and make two lasagnes and two portions for four. Three portions go in the freezer. Next week I nigh make a large chilli and do similar, fish pie, etc.

We also have some really easy dinners: Salmon fillets with stir fry and noodles or with pesto pasta and salad, gammon, egg and chips; easy chicken things, carbonara, etc.

The older I get the more inclined I am to buy things like ready prepped microwaveable vegetables, prepped salad bowls, etc.

2015mom Sat 22-Apr-17 22:51:58

I would buy the chopped vegetables but the more the supermarket does the more expensive it is.

It doesn't take long to peel and chop vegetables and I don't mind doing that and freezing it. I know the resdycut ones would save time but I am also trying to save as on maternity leave

2015mom Sat 22-Apr-17 22:53:09

So when you do a huge spag bol of lasagne will you use two packets of meat or would you just use one pack and loads of vegetables and split the whole dish into two meals?

2015mom Sat 22-Apr-17 22:54:23

And when you freeze the lasagne will you cook two lasagnes in the oven and then freeze? Or freeze after making the lasagne on gas and then sorting layers out and before you put it on he might microwave?

Snap8TheCat Sat 22-Apr-17 22:56:00

It's a difference of pennies but ok.

If you're on maternity leave why are you eating heated up cooked veg? I thought it was time constraints, but it can't be that. Surely freshly boiled new potatoes are nicer?

OhTheRoses Sat 22-Apr-17 22:59:26

I'd usually use 1.5-2kg beef. The lasagnes would both be cooked.

1.5kg beef
2 large onions
Garlic
Red wine
Tomato puree
Tin toms to 500g beef
Puree
Basil
Oregano
S&P

Infuse 1.5 pints milk with an onion, black pepper orns and bay leaf - use it to make cheese sauce and layer up.

Astro55 Sat 22-Apr-17 23:02:32

Bag up chopped veg into full meal potions

Then put in a slow cooker in the morning - some people include the meat in the freezer bags - ready to go

2015mom Sat 22-Apr-17 23:03:33

Yes it's time constraints because I have two little ones and if I am not breastfeeding the baby then I am sorting out one year olds food or doing crafts with him to keep him entertained. Hence why I have to do as much as I can when I can usually when eldest is asleep and husband can watch the baby because he is very clingy and does not like to be put down.. although he is getting better

Thank s for the receipe for lasagne . I use a pack of meat I get from Aldi - I will have to look at the weight on the packet to ascertain if i need double compared to your recipe

Astro55 Sat 22-Apr-17 23:04:04

I also buy the silver takeout cartons - make shepherds pie and freeze

You can also over cook in the slow cooker and freeze portions for another time

2015mom Sat 22-Apr-17 23:04:12

Thanks Astro very helpful

ivykaty44 Sat 22-Apr-17 23:12:21

I make food that doesn't take more than 15 minutes to make

Omelette, with much room, peppers with a salad and bread

Pasta and pesto with veggies, pepper tomatoes etc

Noodles and mushrooms with sweet corn, cabbage and soy

Beans on toast with decent bread

Gino does a great pasta meal with wild boar, forget the meat and make the sauce it's imense in flavour

Astro55 Sat 22-Apr-17 23:21:44

Ignore you have a bread maker I put that in in the morning and so soup for tea - supermarkets have a decent selection

Also try fish oven cooked with salad

Sometimes I buy a cooked chicken and used cold pasta salad and salad

Even a raw chicken using seasoning to add flavor makes a good salad

OhTheRoses Sat 22-Apr-17 23:33:44

When I had very small ittlies we lived on roast chicken, coleslaw, salad and new pots at least three times a week. Sautéed new pots and summat else were also useful (omolette, salmon fillets etc).

Another good one is: Pasta, smoked mackerel, spring onion, lemon juice, mayo. Serve with lovely leafy salad and pine nuts x

Astro55 Sat 22-Apr-17 23:39:23

Don't forget wraps - mine loved them

My friend quite often chopped salad and put it in a big fridge dish taken out to the table for the kids to pick at while they waited for tea -

Refreshed every few days

Cheese on toast is good finger food - but make you and DH something nice later

2015mom Sun 23-Apr-17 23:43:56

lol maybe from listening to the thread sounds like I am over complicating my evening meals lol

I have been doing meals from scratch like curries with chappatis or rice, chicken dumplings casserole, spaghetti bolognese, chicken Pad Thai, lasagnes lol

Maybe I need to do more simple meals for the evening

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now