Talk

Advanced search

Bastarding black ants in my kitchen- help, please!!

(8 Posts)
BastardAnts Thu 20-Apr-17 23:06:57

Suddenly there are a load of black ants walking around indoors, kitchen and bathroom hmm.
I've put down Nippon gel just now, as per instructions on a piece of plastic, and the ants are just strolling on past. They couldn't be less interested. Help! Any tips?

JimWithTwoNoses Thu 20-Apr-17 23:35:22

Ant powder - Raid, really works. You have to sprinkle it so they can't get through without walking on it/over it. They'll try and avoid it but can't. I think they go back o their nests with it on them and it gets them all. You might have to leave it down for a couple of days though and it's a bugger to clean up, if you have young children/crawlers make sure they don't go near it, same if you have a car or dog too I guess.

BastardAnts Fri 21-Apr-17 07:39:38

Thanks - problem is I haven't worked out exactly where they are coming out and going from to put powder. Just seem to be loads of them wandering about over everything.
We changed the floor tiles a while ago so there must be a new gap somewhere I guess..
But on the plus side of the anty randomness I have now seen one (!) of them drinking the Nippon gel. Wonder how long it will take to work..shock

Alfieisnoisy Fri 21-Apr-17 07:48:25

They are little feckers. I get them every year without fail. It starts off with a scout ant sent in to check my kitchen floor. Scout ant goes back to report that I am a filthy splatters who doesn't wash her kitchen floor enough. Scout ant returns with an army of his mates and I go into the kitchen to find an invasion.

Raid powder sorts the little bastards out.

WeeWillyWinkieFromEccles Fri 21-Apr-17 08:31:37

We use these in our house, after a couple of days there are no ants at all

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stop-Station-Home-Defence-Stopper/dp/B004P2TZK0

Or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001CJ11ZQ/ref=pdaww_sim2011_of_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9Z6WHNHRB0VMRDHMGQSP

GU24Mum Sat 22-Apr-17 22:08:24

Ours have just arrived this year and it's driving me mad. I had everything out of one of the kitchen cupboards twice one day - first go I cleaned everything and threw some stuff out then put it all back...... the ants were back within the house. Second time, I repeated the process but also sprinkled ant powder liberally and kept the food out for a few hours then wiped off the powder. That's more or less done the trick on that one but they keep appearing other places and I'm pretty nerdy about cleaning so I think they just love to taunt me.....
We had loads of those Ant-Stop things last year and I didn't notice any difference at all.

2015mom Sat 22-Apr-17 22:16:58

I used ant powder from Homebase. Before that I used baby talcum powder which I had loads off - any white powder stops them in their tracks because they will not cross a line of white powder.

The talcum powder stops them from going all over the place.

Ant powder from Homebase cleared them and they never came back!

ImperialBlether Sat 22-Apr-17 22:19:25

WeeWillyWinkieFromEccles's suggestion worked for my mum - there were ants in all her cupboards and on the countertops in her kitchen - you couldn't see them outside. We put one of them outside her back door and haven't seen an ant since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now