Talk

Advanced search

Dishwasher - cutlery basket or tray?

(31 Posts)
MinisWin Thu 20-Apr-17 15:33:52

Talk to me mighty housekeeping experts - do I want my new Bosch dishwasher to have a cutlery basket or a tray at the top? I've narrowed it down to two and this is the only difference between them? Better the devil you know (basket)? Or will a tray change my life forever? I'm fairly anal when it comes to dishwasher stacking so I don't mind taking the time to fill the tray. Has anyone had both? Which do you prefer? Will a tray hugely limit the height of what I can stack underneath?

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Thu 20-Apr-17 15:46:21

Basket! We went for tray about a year ago (after 15 years of one with a basket) and I have regretted it every day since. It does limit the height of the other racks, it takes ages to load (you might not think this will be a problem but I do) and the spray doesn't get to it properly because of the stuff in the top rack, I have to rewash several items or cutlery every day. Ours is a Bosch too.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Thu 20-Apr-17 15:47:24

Oh and it takes longer to unload too, depending on whether your cutlery drawer is close to your dishwasher. I used to lift the basket and carry it across the kitchen to the drawers, no I have to make trips back and forth with handfuls of cutlery.

Bubblysqueak Thu 20-Apr-17 15:50:09

I've got a basket at home and a drawer at work. Hate the drawer; it's fiddly and time consuming to load and unload.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Thu 20-Apr-17 15:50:22

I have both and prefer the tray.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Thu 20-Apr-17 15:51:08

And another thing, there are two rows of holding things for the cutlery,
There isn't enough space widthways so the items all clash together and knock each other out of line. I really hate it.

InaDelerium Thu 20-Apr-17 16:04:21

I find the tray so much better. It saves so much space on the bottom rack and I have never experienced problems with dirty cutlery.
If you position cutlery together in rows it makes unloading a lot easier.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Thu 20-Apr-17 16:39:56

Although it clearly does free up space in the bottom rack, we just don't need that space, everything fitted perfectly well round the basket in our old machine.

CiderwithBuda Thu 20-Apr-17 16:45:14

I have a Miele with the tray and I really like it. Didn't think I would. I do have to be the one who loads it though! My sis and BIL laugh at me.

DH planned out kitchen really well and I hardly have to move from the dishwasher to unload it. Cutlery drawer is within reach. I would say if it's not in reach it would be a pain.

bibbitybobbityyhat Thu 20-Apr-17 16:50:19

We have both in our dishwasher and I just don't bother with the tray on the top. Infact I have removed it. Things just didn't come out clean.

TheDogsMother Thu 20-Apr-17 16:51:38

We recently got a Neff with a tray and I love it. It frees up so much space and I wouldn't go back to the basket arrangement.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Thu 20-Apr-17 16:54:00

I'm tempted to buy a basket for ours and do the same Bibbity.

ymmv Thu 20-Apr-17 16:54:18

I have both and​ they're both removable so i just use whichever configuration takes my fancy.

soapboxqueen Thu 20-Apr-17 17:02:52

I really like the tray at the top. We have a bosch. It's more fiddly to load but far easier to empty so 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Trinpy Thu 20-Apr-17 17:03:28

I have both but only used the tray. I find it just as quick/easy to load and unload as the basket and I get better cleaning because there's no chance of cutlery sticking together. We badly needed the extra space in the bottom rack too.

MinisWin Thu 20-Apr-17 18:31:12

Oh dear, it seems this is as divisive an issue as I feared.... Those of you with a tray, are you able to fit large items (big dinner plates, pans etc) in the bottom without too much trouble? If I were to take the tray out, is there then the same amount of space as a normal basket dishwasher, or is there still less space above the bottom rack? Thank you for all of your helpful responses!

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Thu 20-Apr-17 18:37:13

My upper rack (the cup one) has two positions, when it's in the lower one I can't fit 12" plates in the bottom rack, when it's in the upper one I can't fit tall glasses in. We mainly use 9" plates so I keep it down.

InaDelerium Thu 20-Apr-17 18:38:29

Our Bosch dishwasher allows the upper basket to move up and down. Have never had an issue fitting pans/woks/large plates and long stemmed wine glasses in there. The cutlery tray also completely removes if you need to fit very large items.

InaDelerium Thu 20-Apr-17 18:39:59

Should also mention that you can put tea cups etc in the cutlery drawer itself.

nemno Thu 20-Apr-17 18:42:27

I have one of each and I prefer the basket. Which is a bugger because that DW is really old and on its last legs and I planned to put matching Miele DWs side by side when it dies. I am a shove-everything-in-whatever-it-is type of user, so height and being able to put baking trays on the top rack is important to me (they block the spray from the tray).

WellTidy Thu 20-Apr-17 18:46:22

I have a Bosch with a tray. First time I've had a dishwasher with a tray and I love it. It washes superbly and frees up the bottom more than I anticipated. I'd never go back to a basket, I am really happy with the tray. I organise the tray so that the types of cutlery are grouped together. That way you get more in, and it us easier to empty e.g. The teaspoons are always at the front on the right facing in the same direction, and I lift them all up in one go to put them away.

WeAllHaveWings Thu 20-Apr-17 18:53:34

We have Siemens and a tray and prefer it. The items are laid out better and come out clean (most of the time, but that not a tray issue). Easy to load/unload if you put spoons, forks etc together.

You lose a little height, but we can still fit pint glasses in the top drawer and large Denby plates in bottom. Long stem wine glasses don't fit unless to drawer is lowered, but normal ones are ok.

Our cutlery drawer is shallow so can't fit teacups etc.

Bobbins43 Thu 20-Apr-17 18:58:34

Basket. Definitely

Spadequeen Thu 20-Apr-17 18:58:58

I love my new tray, things are cleaner and so much more space at the bottom.

We can also move the middle level to suit what's being put in.

I don't think I'd go back to a basket!

CotswoldStrife Thu 20-Apr-17 19:02:43

I have a Miele with a tray and love it. Cutlery comes out sparkling clean, I do group cutlery together (all teaspoons, forks etc) and it is right at the top of the dishwasher. I haven't altered the basket height of the cup basket yet but it's easy to do. It hasn't stopped me washing anything in the bottom basket and it does seem like a lot more room without the cutlery basket there, can fit more plates in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now