Talk

Advanced search

Complete household inventory

(19 Posts)
Whattodowithaminute Wed 19-Apr-17 14:49:53

We are planning a move and household renovation and I want to make sure we have proper storage solutions for our stuff (I feel part of our current rented homes' problem is inadequate storage solutions). Or am I doing this wrong and should I just kondo the lot?grin

Has anyone done a complete list of everything in their house and attributed it a home?

Some (of the many) things that I feel aren't in a proper place are spare party presents, wrapping paper, airbeds, everything we currently dump in the garage!

2014newme Wed 19-Apr-17 14:54:32

You don't need to write an inventory you already know what the issues are. Writing down everything is pure procrastination.

Gooseygoosey12345 Wed 19-Apr-17 14:55:26

Yes. But I am ridiculously obsessed with lists so probably not the best person to ask blush

redshoeblueshoe Wed 19-Apr-17 15:11:29

In our house wrapping paper, airbeds, spare presents live in the loft.
No need for a list grin

Cagliostro Wed 19-Apr-17 15:15:10

It's a good idea. If somewhat procrastinatey (which is probably why I like it blush) grin

Definitely Kondo first! I have not physically been able to do the massive, all-at-once declutter that she advocates but the book has really changed my attitude and dare I say my life

Cagliostro Wed 19-Apr-17 15:16:20

BTW for wrapping paper you need the Really Useful Box that is the right size. All of ours lives in one grin

madeleinecreek Wed 19-Apr-17 15:47:21

I did start a bit of a list before our last move. I didn't list everything, because obviously you know you need a place for clothes etc!

Some of the items (although mine was more categories) on my list were:

Mending kit (sewing, glue)
Wrapping stuff and spare presents
Batteries
Luggage
Spare bulbs
Hoover
Mops/brooms
Ironing board
Cleaning stuff in each bathroom
Spare toilet roll
Swimming kit
Holiday toiletries etc
Place to put clothes for the charity shop
Dog food

Also in my opinion the biggest biggest biggest thing to think about is where you will dry laundry in winter? (I don't like to tumble everything)

elQuintoConyo Wed 19-Apr-17 15:57:22

I have one roll of wrapping paper for children. I have a big box with craft stuff (for me and dc) where scissors and sellotape live. I have a calendar and only buy the presents I need and can replenish wrapping paper when necessary. (Dc's schoolmates' parties are all organised via whatsapp and everyone chips in €5 maximum for one big present). I can't give this kind of stuff more space either in my brain or in my house. Oh and for adults I sewed some drawstring bags in different prints and sizes and use them for presents. Gufts are unwrapped, bags come back to me. No waste crafty cow

You could do a mini inventory of eg:
Xmas decs
Camping gear
Winter clothes (as we're heading into summer)
Hobby shit (be it cameras, hiking poles, surboards, beekeeper's outfit).
Blankets

Then have a look at where you have them now, if you have any built-in storage on the new house, if you have enough cupboard space for everything.

Tbh I have asked DH (who does the weekly shop) not to get 3for2 deals etc on anything massive like 24 bogrolls. They arent expensive and I just end up tripping over them and cursing.

Whattodowithaminute Wed 19-Apr-17 16:28:22

You are right that I am procrastinating. I know I need to get rid of loads of it but really rrrughlr with the I might need it someday perspective. I'm much better at not buying more now than I was... have been ebaying recently but it's the tip on an iceberg I'm sure.

I will rationalise the lists and think about what annoys me and maybe focus on a few target areas. I want a serene organised home and do. Red to get rid of lots of crap to even semi get there!

Whattodowithaminute Wed 19-Apr-17 16:28:46

Rrughir is struggle... apologies!

redshoeblueshoe Wed 19-Apr-17 17:36:59

elQuinto I'm loving the idea of a beekeepers outfit I think I want one grin

elQuintoConyo Wed 19-Apr-17 17:51:57

Empty a drawer/some drawers on the dining table.
Group things together: pens, pencils, batteries, little notebooks, pegs, dice, plasters, stickers, bread ties (those plastic-covered metal bastards), chargers...etc.

Check the pens. Chuck those that don't work. Keep ones that do. Keep 2 in one drawer, one in your bag, one in the kitchen. Chuck the rest.

Do you gave dc? Have a box for them, put in the random pencils and stickers.

Throw out those little notebooks - honestly, 3 is enough.

If you have 20 of everything like that, then you have too many! You'd be surprised how much kibble you have. It clutters your mind.

I regularly go through drawers, DS' boxes (we have Ikea Killax and he has a row of boxes: one craft, one cars, one fancy dress, one general shite), clothes drawers and just chuck stuff* I don't let it build up. 25 underpants? 18 pairs identical socks? 3 pairs of gloves? 12 half-used Post-its (guilty blush)? Outgrown finger puppets and broken unreadable books? GO GO GO!

So therapeutic!

* chuck can mean: bin, charity, recycle, hand-me-down etc.

I did a general sweep just yesterday and filled 2 bin bags of GO stuff. Then I had a sitdown with a cup of tea and an orgasm!

housesellingrant Thu 20-Apr-17 05:54:58

When you pack just group stuff together, I had ten different boxes on my bed to sort things into. And a big bag, charity bag and recycling.

CanadianJohn Thu 20-Apr-17 14:55:05

ElQuinto: I did a general sweep just yesterday and filled 2 bin bags of GO stuff. Then I had a sitdown with a cup of tea and an orgasm!

Say no more! grin

purplecabbage Thu 20-Apr-17 19:19:08

Kondo the lot! Maybe your idea of an inventory will help you declutter? I would love to do a deep purge and really get to the bones of what we own.

There is never enough storage in my experience - there is always too much 'stuff' however- how much of what sits in our cupboards, wardrobes and on our shelves would we even buy now?

Great that you are getting organised with a view to doing things well! Good luck!

purplecabbage Thu 20-Apr-17 19:22:26

Second thoughts, as you say you are procrastinating and really keen to get stuck in, why not be really good to yourself and hire a professional to help you, to get you kickstarted?

If you need to justify this, it could be absorbed as part of moving costs? I often find it can really really help me to pay for expert support when I know there is something I need to do but can't get there on my own!

Whattodowithaminute Thu 20-Apr-17 20:56:36

I have started a pared down list which has been helpful and am starting to look at things differently around the house. It is giving me areas where I need to focus and be a bit more ruthless. The last two times we have moved we've had packers (heavily pregnant first time and just given birth the second time!) which has meant I haven't done the clearout I would have liked. Going around the house now I'm starting to get rid of things but doing it in themes is helpful. I think a Kondo approach will work for us-now I just need to persuade DH...!

AvaCrowder2 Thu 20-Apr-17 22:51:44

I love lists!

Could you write one of things you do want, and then let go of anything not on your list?

Melfish Thu 20-Apr-17 22:55:49

There's an ebook by Francine Jay who also wrote the Joy of Less and has a minimalism blog, called 100 essentials. In my dream world I could emulate that (eyes vast amounts of junk that I'm sorting through, chance of 1000 items would be nice) but it makes interesting reading how some people apparently function on that amount of stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now