Talk

Advanced search

Packing to move- top tips

(19 Posts)
PinkSquash Sun 16-Apr-17 10:14:16

I'm having to pack up and move this week and it's the first time I'm doing it. I have stuff for a 2 bed flat, but we're moving into a 1 bed (me plus 2DC).

Do you have any top tips to help me make this as smooth as possible?
The DC are with their dad this week so once I've finished work I have the evenings to do everything and I'm starting to panic a little.

PinkSquash Sun 16-Apr-17 10:41:57

Small bump

LeBoob Sun 16-Apr-17 10:43:33

Make sure you label every box with a location and contents, this will make the unpacking the things you need so much easier!

LeBoob Sun 16-Apr-17 10:45:01

Are you moving just stuff or furniture too?

Snap8TheCat Sun 16-Apr-17 10:45:58

Do you have enough protective wrapping , boxes and tape?

BonnesVacances Sun 16-Apr-17 10:47:32

I'd pack for the new place so it's easier when you get there. Try to visualise where everything is going to go. Then for example label a box for the new bedroom and put things in there that you will want to unpack in it.

Will you be getting rid of anything? Make sure those boxes are labelled accordingly and you can take them straight down to the charity shop.

Also pack boxes so they are full otherwise they collapse when other boxes are put on top. And have heavy things in small boxes otherwise you won't be able to lift them.

And don't use black bin bags for anything otherwise they can get thrown out.

INeedNewShoes Sun 16-Apr-17 10:49:51

I decided it was worthwhile buying some proper packing boxes (from a storage facility) as they're a lot sturdier than those you could pick up free from the supermarket.

People often given their packing boxes away on Freecycle so it could be worth looking on your local site or putting out a request.

TwoBeams Sun 16-Apr-17 10:52:23

A brilliant tip I got on here was buy a notebook and list what's in every box, so it's easy to find what you're looking for when you're surrounded by boxes
eg, box 1 - plates, mugs, cutlery
Box 2 - kids underwear, tshirts, trainers

INeedNewShoes Sun 16-Apr-17 10:58:08

Also it's worth writing a brief note of the contents on at least two adjacent sides (4 sides best if you can be bothered) of each box and the top. When they're all stacked in a pile in the corner you want to be able to see what the contents of each box is without moving it.

mummytime Sun 16-Apr-17 11:03:02

Buy a proper packing tape dispenser and have a couple of marker pens to hand. You Don't have time to sort too much now, so just "get on with it". Set yourself stretch targets for the he start of the week, aim to finish a day or two early - it always takes longer than you thought.

9GreenBottles Sun 16-Apr-17 11:16:34

If you're going to a smaller space (and don't have room to store things) try to do your decluttering before you move (or at least box it up so you know that you don't have to unpack those boxes).

Writing on boxes (on two sides as previously suggested) is preferable to notebook, but doing both is even better. Have boxes stacked in rooms with the writing visible. Wine boxes are really good for transporting crockery, and consider using tea towels etc if you haven't got enough packing paper.

Make sure you keep kettle and mugs, cleaning stuff, bedding, toiletries, and a change of clothes readily accessible so that you can get yourself off to bed easily to start again the following day.

Good luck!

MunchMunch Tue 18-Apr-17 10:11:25

If there's just you for the last week at this place, leave out enough stuff for the week, for example, 1 cup, plate, bowl, cutlery, clothes, towels, toilet rolls, soap/toothbrush and paste kettle etc and pack everything else. I'd also try and declutter obvious stuff that is broken/not used recently and then if I had time try and declutter a bit more throughly so all the crap isn't t going to the new house unless it was absolutely necessary.

Do one room at a time each day unless you could do maybe two without having to stay up all night.

Good luck with the move

PinkSquash Wed 19-Apr-17 07:26:49

I've just seen there are responses on here- my apologies for not getting back sooner blush

You've all been really helpful in calming my nerves, as this is a whole new thing for me.
Thank you flowers

Smeaton Wed 19-Apr-17 07:28:52

I've moved a few times, here's a tip I learnt.

No matter how many boxes or rolls of tape you have, you will need more. grin

Smeaton Wed 19-Apr-17 07:31:34

Also, try to pack essential stuff separately.
You don't want to get to new home and have to unpack six boxes of useless stuff, Nan's China, old TV guides, your collection of pink porcelain pigs etc, when all you want is clean pants.
(If sure really sad, like me, you would get different coloured tape to seal important boxes and put them in a different corner of the room)

DropZoneOne Wed 19-Apr-17 07:33:57

Pack room by room, label each box with the room name and a number. At the other end, unpack the boxes highest number to lower - the stuff you packed last will be the stuff you need first.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Wed 19-Apr-17 07:53:07

Good advice, I'm moving soon so will get more boxes and tape!

Sunnysidegold Wed 19-Apr-17 09:11:01

Make a box with kettle tea bags biscuits cups loo roll soap etc in it and keep in front seat of your car.

Keep a box of cleaning stuff too. Easy to wipe something down quickly e.g. sink in kitchen.

Make your bed pretty quickly so you can too into it quickly!

Pack your plates with a paper plate between them.

Pack a suitcase with what clothes pjs toiletries you will need.

Sorry for the lack of commas!

Frouby Wed 19-Apr-17 09:16:44

Everyone gives or buys big boxes. You need small boxes too. For things like cutlery which is heavy and clanky. And the kitchen drawers. And stuff like photos in frames you won't want putting in with the kettle and getting damaged.

When you get there put each box in the room it lives in. Much easier to unpack.

Be ruthless especially if you are downsizing.

If possible start taking stuff over every trip. I moved all the little bits in car fulls when we got keys to new place as we had 3 weeks crossover on the tenancies.

Have gin to hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now