Talk

Advanced search

Why did I never realise this about Tupperware box storage before???

(14 Posts)
CWBB Fri 14-Apr-17 14:09:22

It makes your life fifty-billion times easier if you abandon all efforts to store the lids with the box they go on.

New system - all plastic food containers live in a largish box on a shelf, and beside this box are two smaller boxes containing just lids.

You don't need fancy boxes - my 'lid' box is made out an old cereal packet cut in half - the lids slot in vertically (vertically is important in a Kondo stylee so that you can see what's there and remove without disrupting any other lids).

The containers live in a large, er, plastic container, but an average cardboard box would do. I don't attempt to sort them by size or anything, just make sure the box is roomy enough so you can sling the clean containers in with speed and impunity.

It's unbelievably easier - just thought I would share.

Dailymaildailyfail Fri 14-Apr-17 14:11:12

Also usin a sharpie to give each top and bottom and matching number means that when you cannot find the right top for a bottom, you can just look for the matching number instead of trying lids which you only find don't fit when it's leaked tomato soup all inside bottom of your sandbag

Dailymaildailyfail Fri 14-Apr-17 14:11:26

That's clearly a handbag btw

wizzywig Fri 14-Apr-17 14:12:33

Eh op? You are using a cardboard box as a lid? That'll get soggy and isn't airtight

RitzyMcFee Fri 14-Apr-17 14:17:07

I think it will work! Only if, like you say, the lids stay vertical.

MistressMolecules Fri 14-Apr-17 14:18:19

Nooo! OP is using a cereal box to store Tupperware lids - I saw this same idea on some kitchen/cooking/lifestyle blog. Great idea except I can't find the lids to store them!

HmmOkay Fri 14-Apr-17 14:23:01

The cardboard box just holds all of the lids together, wizzy.

But OP, how do you know which lid goes with which container? That is the bane of my life. I guess I could number them like Daily says upthread.

Firstaidnovice Fri 14-Apr-17 14:28:53

We have a big pan drawer, and tupperwares are stored with lids on. Admittedly not space efficient, but it's worth it to never scrabble around for matching lids. And you actually need far fewer than you think.
With the exception of the cheap plastic takeaway containers we use for freezing stuff in, but all the lids match all the containers, so they stack.

Deianira Fri 14-Apr-17 16:02:32

I store my tupperware on shelves (I think it maybe was a spice rack for former tenants...) - with the lids under each stack. That way they're kept together, but don't take up too much space, because pots of the right sizes can still be stacked/nested inside one another. Plus it makes it easy to just look and find the right bits!

NannyR Fri 14-Apr-17 16:09:11

The easiest way to organise your Tupperware is just to have lots of two different sized boxes; I have small round ones and the white square ones with see through lids from Ikea, that way the lids always match and they stack really neatly in a cupboard.

CWBB Fri 14-Apr-17 16:11:15

heh re the cardboard lid. That one will never match.

Genius re the Sharpie numbering - in general I have learned through hard experience which lids go with which boxes but numbering would def make it faster.

DH was skeptical as he loves to pair things up and try and store them that way, but even he has had to admit defeat and conform to the new system, mwa ha ha.

No room to store with lids on (and as they usually get put away damp from the dishwasher in a slovenly fashion they need airing). They are kept in a pan drawer which works v well.

ADisappearingDreamOfYesterday Fri 14-Apr-17 16:19:13

I like the Sharpie idea! DH and I call our Tupperware cupboard The Cupboard Of Doom. Every time anyone opens the door it all cascades out on to the floor. There is a secret technique of opening the door about an inch to avoid this, but DH hasn't quite mastered it grin

Icouldbeknitting Sat 15-Apr-17 21:18:36

We have the cupboard of doom but after nearly thirty years in this house I had a moment of insight and pulled out the two types of pots I use for the freezer, stacked them into a tower, put the lids on the diagonal in the top pot and (tada) put them on top of the freezer. The cupboard of doom still has lunchboxes and bigger boxes for cakes and such but (very importantly) I don't have any reason to go in it. I wish I'd given this a moment's thought decades ago rather than spending all that time sitting on the floor in a pile of plastic looking for a lid that was never there.

AuditAngel Sat 15-Apr-17 21:22:26

My cupboard if doom is in the corner, under the hob and has no bottom, just the floor. Do things would have to climb up to escape

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now