Talk

Advanced search

Moving House with 2 young children, any tips?

(16 Posts)
CDeer Thu 13-Apr-17 18:56:59

Hi everyone,

I'm moving house in a month or so with two young boys (one 6 the other 4) and was wondering if anyone had any tips for making things go smoothly with them? The youngest is quite nervous and shy around new people/things so i'm a bit concerned about his reaction on the day and afterwards.

I've found a couple of guides on the web about it findmymanandvan.co.uk/moving-house-tips/moving-home-with-children-tips and kidshealth.org/en/parents/move.html# but any other resources and advice would be appreciated smile

continues Thu 13-Apr-17 19:43:31

Pay for a packing service.

Pay for cleaners for old place and new.

Stock up on wine grin

CDeer Thu 13-Apr-17 20:01:45

The wine is already packed winegrin

continues Thu 13-Apr-17 20:29:25

Pack more

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Thu 13-Apr-17 20:31:16

Remember it's an adventure and involve them however you can!!

user1474462227 Thu 13-Apr-17 20:32:38

Pack a bag with clothes for 2 days for you all and toiletries and snacks for the kids for the day after in your car ( hand luggage!!!)
All your clothes will be in boxes and it will be difficult to find everything in the morning.

strongandlong Thu 13-Apr-17 20:35:05

I second continue's advice- pay for a packing service. Best ~£300 I've ever spent!

SparkyBlue Thu 13-Apr-17 20:35:34

Just gone through it. Don't worry the kids will be absolutely fine but you will need lots of wine and other comfort foods. It's bloody stressful. Best of luck in your new home. It's also very exciting

NellysKnickers Thu 13-Apr-17 20:35:56

Empty their rooms last and get them sorted out first in the new house. Rope in as many helpers/babysitter as possible. Let them play with empty boxes, and put them in a large box with felt tips or crayons, honestly, you can get loads done while they are occupied doing this. Good luck smile

Lovewatchingrainfall Thu 13-Apr-17 20:38:59

I recently moved with a 3year old and a 2week old best thing was hiring someone to move it all plus pack a box for the kids so toys etc so you have these to hand in the new place. If someone could take the kids while the stuff is being loaded this may help as my 3year old could not really understand what was going on and got very upset. If you need to stay around with them then maybe the older one might like a little disposable camera as they find it exciting and nervous.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 13-Apr-17 20:42:26

More wine. Or a tesco order containing only champagne to the new address wink.

Honestly I've not got a clue last time we moved dc 1 & 2 were only 19 months & 5 months.

PatsyMount Thu 13-Apr-17 20:43:15

Alternatively, get DCs to help you pack and unpack.

We moved when DS1 was 3 and a half. He and i stripped his bedroom together, he chose which toys and posters were more important etc. He helped me pack the box and put his own stickers on the box etc. This was mini-Patsys box smile

Then at the new house he unpacked his own box and put his books and toys away i-tidied them the next day when he was at nursery

I just think involving the DVs as much as possible really helps.

Oh yes - and lots of wine!! winegrin

PatsyMount Thu 13-Apr-17 20:44:01

Sorry typo - Involving the DCs

<FFS>

BubbleBed Thu 13-Apr-17 20:45:58

Ditto what Nelly's said. Empty their room last, and fix it first at the other end. Order pizza for dinner, and get a TV set up with a DVD player for entertainment when you get there. Bunk in with them if you need to, but do their room first - made all our house moves go smoothly, even DS1 with ASD.

sugarmonster64 Thu 13-Apr-17 20:50:04

We kept our DC in nursery moving day so the plan was they said goodbye to house when it still had stuff in and welcomed new one when we'd semi unpacked that evening. Things went unexpectedly awry so didn't quite happen but next day we made sure their beds were ready first thing and they had some toys set aside to play with. They were fine with move from what I remember. I on the other hand.....

CDeer Sat 15-Apr-17 11:22:41

Thank you all for your input! Seems the general consensus is plenty of wine for me, toys for the children and get their rooms set up first smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now