Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to wash up with cold water and antibacterial washing up liquid?

(9 Posts)
OhBlissOhJoy Wed 12-Apr-17 23:14:01

I moved into my own place a few months ago having never lived on my own before and it's way more expensive than I anticipated. My wages aren't even close to covering my bills. So I am cutting expenses where I can - and one of those is to only put the hot water on once a week to do the washing up (I have an electric shower so this isn't about hygiene!). I have enough plates, bowls, cutlery etc to last between washes but do have to reuse pans/chopping boards/veg knives - so I give them a scrub with cold water and antibac washing up liquid. Veg pans only, I boil the kettle for ones used for meat. But I'm worried that I'm a food poisoning case waiting to happen. Is this ok?

e1y1 Thu 13-Apr-17 00:08:45

In theory, yes should be fine, as long as they're well scrubbed and rinsed (the idea of washing is just to "dislodge" the dirt and rinse it away. Cold water won't cut it on grease though (and YY to using hot for stuff that has been in contact with meat).

When I was staying at DF's house (in the depths of outback of Ireland), I couldn't figure out his hot water system, so had to wash up in cold grin, I did add a squirt of bleach to the water as well though, as this kills everything.

I don't know much regarding it, but are you claiming all/any benefits you're entitled to, to help out with costs (tax credits, council tax reduction etc?).

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 13-Apr-17 00:13:26

You'd be better just rinsing and washing as you use them in cold water, rather than saving them up. Bacteria will multiply on anything waiting to be washed, but there's nothing wrong with washing up in cold water.

There's probably no point putting the hot water on just for washing up, tbh. Esp if it involves heating a tank. Boiling the kettle would be enough if you just need a bowl fill of hot water

McSporran Thu 13-Apr-17 17:27:41

I'd second boiling a kettle, washing everything in a washing up bowl and then rinsing with cold water. You could even keep all the excess boiled water (from when you make cups of tea etc) in a flask and use the water.

rabbit123 Sat 15-Apr-17 11:33:15

Why waste money on antibac washing up liquid? Hot water and a cheaper alternative washing up liquid would be better.

Also, top money saving tip - you don't need to buy hundreds of cleaning products. Just buy the basics. Don't bother with expensive sprays, get a bottle of multisurface liquid (like Flash) and dilute in some hot water. You can use that to clean pretty much everything

Tinseleverywhere Sat 15-Apr-17 11:44:10

I agree with boiling the kettle and do the washing up every day. Or you will end up with a massive pile of washing up once a week that is not much fun at all. This way you might not even need to put the hot water on during the summer.

Badcat666 Sat 15-Apr-17 11:50:11

I feel your pain op.

My boiler broke and I'm too skint to buy a new one so I boil the kettle to wash up. Super quick and easy and a kettle of water goes a long way. I just use a supermarket brand washing up liquid (just as good as a branded version).

We have an electric shower as well but I have been known to wash my hair and bits with a kettle of boiled water in a large preserving pan when I can't be bothered with a full shower. Cheaper and quicker than having a whole shower.

thecapitalsunited Sat 15-Apr-17 11:59:11

The hot water for washing up will cost you pennies (presuming you use a washing up bowl and are only heating a few litres of water). The electric shower on the other hand is like chucking pound coins down the drain. You might be better off not using the shower and taking shallow baths instead if you have gas hot water.

Why don't you post the size of your place, how much your bills (food, gas, electric, water if on meter etc) are and what your income is and we can advise where you might be able to trim things?

NennyNooNoo Sat 15-Apr-17 13:06:19

Water used for washing up by hand isn't usually hot enough to kill germs anyway and otherwise you wouldn't be able to put your hands in it, so yes, it should be fine. Although I would support what everyone else is saying which is to boil the kettle for washing up water and pour the hot water directly over anything that has been in contact with raw meat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now