Talk

Advanced search

You know those washing machines that take 12kg or more? Well, what's the catch?

(34 Posts)
SmurfPants Tue 11-Apr-17 17:10:22

Give me your opinions please!

Are they rubbish?

Too noisy?

Can only take massive loads?

Do they actually not fit in normal kitchen appliance spaces?
Give me your opinions please
Do the smart ones crash as often as my smart TV does?

Or are they amazing, best thing ever, with the potential to transform my laundry life by halving the number of loads we do a week? (currently approx 20 loads per week shock )

And actually I'll need a bigger dryer too...

SmurfPants Tue 11-Apr-17 17:23:14

I see some of them you can operate from your smart phone...why?!

itstheyearzero Tue 11-Apr-17 17:25:36

I've got one and its fab. No bigger than a standard machine and I have gone from doing 5 or 6 washes a week to 2. Mine isn't a Smart one though. It has loads of different optioned for big/ little wash etc.

trixymalixy Tue 11-Apr-17 17:26:21

I have the zanussi lindo which i think is 11kg. I bloody love having a massive washing machine. It's great being able to cut down on the number of washes.

I had a 12kg LG before that which was great when it worked, but broke down constantly and no repair men would touch it with a barge pole, so don't get an LG.

Both fitted in a normal appliance space and are no noisier than a standard washer.

Aroseforemily Tue 11-Apr-17 17:27:07

The main issue with mine is that it takes so long to get a full load that I needed to buy extra knickers, also it seems to take forever to hang it all up to dry.
It's brilliant for washing blankets and duvets.

Vy Tue 11-Apr-17 17:28:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SmurfPants Tue 11-Apr-17 17:31:12

oh balls, it was the LG ones I was looking at!

SmurfPants Tue 11-Apr-17 17:32:45

Vy, you can't advertise here, this is just a fascinating chat thread about lovely big washing machines.

loonieleftie Tue 11-Apr-17 17:35:05

grin what is vy doing?

trixymalixy Tue 11-Apr-17 17:35:39

www.mumsnet.com/reviews/household-appliances/washing-machines/9082-lg-f1443kds

Aroseforemily Tue 11-Apr-17 17:36:35

OK I'm a liar, mine is 11kg. It's a hotpoint one, and I love it, 1400rpm spin and fits into a regular washing machine slot.

ThouShallNotPass Tue 11-Apr-17 17:37:39

Not 12kg but 10kg here and I LOVE having bigger loads. I'm bad for not keeping up with the laundry and for 5 people it accumulates fast. I can get it all done in just a few hours.

I even saw the bottom of the laundry basket once.
It was pretty cool.

And it lasted about 20 minutes.

frenchfancy Tue 11-Apr-17 17:37:40

I have a 15 kg LG for work (holiday properties). It wouldn't fit under a normal kitchen counter. I love it. It plays a little tune when it has finished which makes me smile every time.

Funnyonion17 Tue 11-Apr-17 17:38:56

I have a 13kg smart one. Saved sooo much on electric since but it does stick out a bit. Washes great though

SmurfPants Tue 11-Apr-17 17:46:32

Damn, we don't have space for any sticking out because of how the dishwasher opens. I need one that is 64 or less I think. Just reading a review from an angry Samsung buyer because the dimensions are wrong on the website and he has a sticky out bit!

SmurfPants Tue 11-Apr-17 18:08:04

Wow, those LG reviews are pretty damning! shock

e1y1 Tue 11-Apr-17 18:18:51

I have had two 12kg washers (have a 9kg one now).

First was a Samsung, great machine, but totally died in 7 months.

Then had an LG steam washer, but gave it my DSis as she could make better use of it than me (more children).

Have a 9kg Samsung now and I find that plenty big enough. If loads are being separated into colours and fabric types, I'd find it hard to need a 12kg machine unless one has a particularly large family.

SmurfPants Tue 11-Apr-17 19:59:00

I have no doubt that we'd benefit from the big drum - family of five with sports hobbies.

Now just to find the right model. And also, why can't I find 12kg dryers??

e1y1 Tue 11-Apr-17 20:07:44

Now just to find the right model. And also, why can't I find 12kg dryers??

Because dryer drums are bigger than washer drums that are the same load weight rating, because the clothes need to "tumble" and air needs to circulate the dry the clothing, as opposed to being agitated through water as in a washer.

To have a dryer that could take 12kg of dry clothing (and of course this is heavier when wet), the size of the machine wouldn't fit under a worktop, which in the UK is where laundry appliances are predominately kept.

SmurfPants Tue 11-Apr-17 20:10:37

ah that makes sense, thank you smile

emochild Tue 11-Apr-17 20:19:33

I love it on a day when you can dry outside but if I'm tumble drying I have to do it in 2 loads which is a pain in the butt

e1y1 Tue 11-Apr-17 20:32:33

You're welcome smile

Mehfruittea Tue 11-Apr-17 20:34:43

I'm defo going to get a 12kg washer! With the dryer thing, I currently have a Smeg washer/dryer and crappy old dryer. I take one load out of the washer and split it between the two, then when both dry I can put the next load on. Thinking about how I can improve on this as don't generally get time to do this mid week, leaving only the weekend for washing. PITA

SmurfPants Tue 11-Apr-17 20:36:47

I'm edging towards a Samsung with the Addwash thingy... any opinions?

BigGreenOlives Tue 11-Apr-17 20:39:23

I was a mumsnet tester for the Samsung Addwash. It is really good - quick, fast & quiet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now