Talk

Advanced search

What's the sick smell coming from the ensuite??

(9 Posts)
user1489228947 Fri 07-Apr-17 08:31:31

For about the last 4 weeks there has been a sick smell emerging from out ensuite. It appears to be 'in the air' as when I stick my nose down plug holes etc I can't detect it but it does seem to be linked to the shower being used. Everything has been cleaned multiple times to an inch of its life including two drain buster products down the shower. No one has been sick, ill etc. Has anyone had this or have any ideas what the source could be?? Its a 2 year old house so the pipes are new etc.

Chwaraeteg Fri 07-Apr-17 08:34:41

Do you have a holder / cup which you put toothbrushes in? Sometimes I forget to do this and it gets full of smelly slime. Likewise soap dishes.

user1489228947 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:05:37

Yes - have cleaned that and also changed the toilet brush. Every item has been cleaned, bleached, washed etc. Its a smell thats strong enough to come out onto the landing sometimes!

Rudymentary Fri 07-Apr-17 09:13:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 07-Apr-17 09:15:16

Maybe PigletJohn will see this.

SuburbanRhonda Fri 07-Apr-17 09:16:41

Bleach used on slightly porous surfaces gives off a sick smell. I never use bleach anywhere except down the kitchen sink. I know that's heresy here on MN, but the chlorine smell makes me feel ill.

rogl Fri 07-Apr-17 09:20:19

I once had this in an old house, whenever we went into this particular room it stank of rotten something and couldn't figure out why. We even pulled up the floor boards.

It turned out to be the light bulb! God knows why but when it heated up the smell would increase ten fold.

piefacedClique Fri 07-Apr-17 09:24:20

Our shower inguest bathroom sometimes smells like this.... plumber said it was water held in pipe which stagnates because it's used infrequently. Recommended just turning shower on briefly every few days

user1489228947 Fri 07-Apr-17 09:44:38

Thanks - will check the light fittings and the fan! Oh the irony if its being caused by the bleaching (I usually only use it for down the loo but have been pouring and cleaning with it liberally since the smell started). I wondered if the problem was to do with water but as husband has long showers at least twice a day so there is always a good throughput of water. And unblocking products have been used and all of that. We have used the main bathroom only for the last few days but the smell remains. Will change the lightbulb and hope for the best as don't really want costly plumber investigations etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now