Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning the house before going on holiday..

(47 Posts)
HappyEverIftar Wed 05-Apr-17 19:50:38

...Yes or No?

I'm in the 'there's no point' camp DH disagrees. What do you do (or don't do?)

holidaysaregreat Wed 05-Apr-17 19:52:40

I always clean the house before hols - like to come back to a clean house. Also have this bizarre idea that if something happens to me and I never make it back then phew at least the house isn't filthy dirty. Probably a bit weird.

ScarlettDarling Wed 05-Apr-17 19:54:05

Oh definitely yes! Got to have clean bedding too. Can't bear to come home to an untidy house.

Blumkin Wed 05-Apr-17 19:54:46

Yes, always do. When I get home have a mountain of laundry, we're all tired, jet lagged and suffering from post holiday blues. Its always nice to come home to a clean tidy house, I'd feel miserable coming home to find a heap of mess.

HelenaJustina Wed 05-Apr-17 19:56:35

Always do, much nicer to come home to.

d270r0 Wed 05-Apr-17 19:58:49

No I don't bother. I make sure theres no dirty dishes left on the side, etc, but don't see the point in the rest of it. Always too busy packing and getting other stuff sorted.

Icouldbeknitting Wed 05-Apr-17 19:59:18

I'll have done the laundry so everyone can have their favourite clothes to take with them, I'll have cleaned the kitchen, teapot, coffee machine and cleared out the fridge so there are no smelly surprises to come home to and I'll have emptied all the bins. It probably looks as if I've cleaned to go away but I haven't really.

Freshprincess Wed 05-Apr-17 19:59:38

I don't, but then when my mum comes round to 'move the post' she practically guts the place.

SparklesandBangs Wed 05-Apr-17 20:00:17

Yes always house needs to be tidy, bins & fridge empty and cleaned if possible and even better if the cleaners come in when I am away

BackforGood Wed 05-Apr-17 20:01:37

No. I don't think burglars mind a bit of mess, and who else is likely to see it ?

I mean, I make sure washing up is done so no mould growing int a dish or mug, but not other than that.

Garnethair Wed 05-Apr-17 20:02:43

Everything clean, fresh bedding and towels and bleach down all the sinks and loos before you lock up.

SweepTheHalls Wed 05-Apr-17 20:03:03

Yes! And fresh sheets the night before do they are pretty much fresh when we return smile

TheStoatIsStoatallyDifferent Wed 05-Apr-17 20:04:40

I do. I agree with PP that it is lovely to come home to a clean house after a holiday

PlymouthMaid1 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:05:08

Other than emptying bins, removing food from fridge and bleach down loo I dont do anything.

DubiousCredentials Wed 05-Apr-17 20:05:45

Omg yes. The thought of coming home to mess and a non-sparkly bathroom shock

I virtually mop us out of the front door as we leave grin

Ginslinger Wed 05-Apr-17 20:10:46

yes - big clean

Macey78 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:10:51

I'm OCD about cleaning the house when going away. Drives DH up the wall! and sometimes myself too!

But when we come back everyone enjoys it as we can just put the washing on and relax.

LapinR0se Wed 05-Apr-17 20:12:23

Yes I clean AND book the cleaner to come in so we come back to loveliness!

clapintime Wed 05-Apr-17 20:13:13

I have low housework standards but for some reason I go into overdrive before we go away. Clean beds, clean towels, fridge cleaned, all laundry and floors mopped.
I'm wondering why really because within 30 minutes of getting home it looks like normal.

ovenchips Wed 05-Apr-17 20:15:07

I'm in the 'there's no point' camp too.

Plus I am normally dashing around trying to get ready for the holiday and wouldn't have time to do it even if I wanted to.

FiveShelties Wed 05-Apr-17 20:15:15

Always clean before we go. Nothing would give me the post holiday blues more than coming home to a load of cleaning up to do.

Crispsheets Wed 05-Apr-17 20:16:50

Yes.
Always make sure it's clean and beds changed.
And washing machine straight on when I return.

Itsadoublewhammy Wed 05-Apr-17 20:17:21

I clean manically right up until we leave the house, change all the beds the night before, bleach the loos, deep clean things that haven't been touched all year.
It lowers my stress when I get back.

Violetcharlotte Wed 05-Apr-17 20:20:27

I always do this. I would hate to come home to a dirty house. Coming home from a holidays depressing enough without having to clean as soon as you get back.

Trooperslane Wed 05-Apr-17 20:20:41

DH always says

"trooperslane is cleaning up for the burglars" - nicked from Peter Kay.

I can't cope with the despair of coming home, worrying that the house HAS been burgled - thank you anxiety - and having a shit tip as well as 5 loads of washing to do.

I don't do the beds - strip them and change them when we are home. Linen seem fresher, but there's nothing nicer than your own, very clean bed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now