Talk

Advanced search

How do i get it hygienic and smell free

(13 Posts)
Notsandwiches Wed 05-Apr-17 17:47:30

My mum has Alzheimers. I help care for her. Every morning her bedding is wet: all of it. So every day duvet, duvet cover, sheet, waterproof mattress protector and pillow case have to be washed. I do three loads so as to make sure things get clean properly. I've tried white vinegar and the detail wash. But every time i stick them in the dryer I can smell urine. I usually use 60 degree hygiene wash which takes almost 3 hours. What am I doing wrong?

Only thing that does work is 90 degree wash but that's going to destroy the mattress protector.

Help!!!

Notsandwiches Wed 05-Apr-17 17:48:24

That should say dettol not detail wash

llhj Wed 05-Apr-17 17:51:54

Jeez no advice but that sounds dreadfully tough. Is it possible not to use a duvet?

gingeristhenewblack43 Wed 05-Apr-17 17:53:41

Does she use incontinence pads? You can get a referral for them from your mum's GP or social worker if she has one.

Deux Wed 05-Apr-17 17:54:03

I don't really have an answer but just some suggestions. I'm sorry to hear about your mum, that sounds tough for you.

Use biological powder; add some Napisan powder to the powder drawer; don't use softener ( I think it can make funny smells and it coats the fibres); try to get it all outside if possible; have 2 sets of bedding to reduce turnaround.

Other things to try would be to machine soak before the normal wash cycle with a mixture of Napisan and powder.

QuestionableMouse Wed 05-Apr-17 17:55:42

You can buy urine scent remover. It's an enzyme liquid that gets rid of the smell.

How about adult nappies?

Tunnocksmallow Wed 05-Apr-17 17:58:03

No advice re washing, but have you had your mum assessed by your local NHS incontinence service? They can provide night time pads that can at least help to soak up some of the urine. Also under the mattress protector, place the disposable puppy training floor pads. Amazing how much they can hold.
I also back PP who says about not using a duvet, how about a couple of sheets and blankets instead?

sonlypuppyfat Wed 05-Apr-17 18:01:20

You poor thing it must be so difficult, how about zoflora in your wash

chickensatay Wed 05-Apr-17 18:03:31

What kind of pads does she use?

Minimoan Wed 05-Apr-17 18:10:07

You would find it really useful to invest in some bed protection?

These 'Kylie sheets' are great - they hold a lot of fluid without leaking onto sheet underneath/pillow - and just the 'Kylie sheet' itself can be changed easily if needed during the night by rolling person off it and replacing with a dry 'Kylie sheet'?
Quick-drying too - in single and double sizes and tuck in sides of bed so will not become displaced.

www.completecareshop.co.uk/beds-and-bedding/kylie-bed-pads/

And could also get waterproof pillows/duvet - then may reduce nightly washing to just the duvet cover? A wide selection here ...

www.completecareshop.co.uk/beds-and-bedding/waterproof-duvets-and-pillows/

And maybe some discreet continence wear ... these look like normal underwear? Cheaper to buy in Home Bargains/B and M type of shops!
www.tena.co.uk/tenalady/Products/Female-pants/TENA-Lady-Pants-Discreet

But also ask her GP for her to be referred urgently to the adult continence service in your area ... as they can supply all these products free if your mother is accessed as requiring them? As she requires night-time care, any carers benefits/DLA/PIP payments should also reflect her 24 hour care.

And for soiled bedding currently, try a soak in Napisan/Milton before washing and leaving outside in sun?

Hope that helps!

Notsandwiches Wed 05-Apr-17 22:52:18

Thank you all.

VioletHornswaggle Thu 06-Apr-17 14:28:56

Urine soaked stuff needs a cold rinse cycle first. Then, if you are using biological washing stuff, remember to wash at 40 degrees or lower as the biological bit doesn't work as its killed at higher temperatures. Yy to no fabric softener and I would also second a capful of zoflora in the softener draw. Removable incontinence pads for the bed would be good too.

rabbit123 Sat 08-Apr-17 11:11:24

I disagree with the 40 or lower comment. Make sure you use a bio powder, not a liquid. Liquids don't contain any bleaching agents for hygiene.
The enzymes will work as the water is heating and then the bleaching agents will kick in as the water gets hotter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now