Talk

Advanced search

Water inside fridge

(10 Posts)
QuizTeamaAguilera Tue 04-Apr-17 09:58:02

At the weekend we realised our fridge was completely sopping wet inside...at the back of it (a Candy fridge freezer, 3 years old) is a hole, which we realised was clogged with dirty ice. Cleaned out the entire fridge, but every day this hole keeps getting plugged with ice which seems to make water drip into the salad/vegetable drawer at the bottom. The fridge isn't too cold, all the food seems to be it's normal chilled temp...anyone know why the hole is becoming frozen, and why everything is getting wet? The manual is useless, doesn't mention any of the parts!

moogletea Tue 04-Apr-17 10:13:39

We've had the same thing on our fridge. It seems to be s problem with the seal in the small hole. We poke a cocktail stick in the hole and it seems to release whatever had hunker up there and starts to drain properly again

brassbrass Tue 04-Apr-17 10:14:20

sounds like the hose to the drip tray is clogged. You need to clear the debris using a coat hanger or something like that to get in there. The fact that it's dirty tells you it's got gunk in it.

You might need to pull out the fridge and check the water tray at the back and see if it needs emptying as well.

moogletea Tue 04-Apr-17 10:14:25

That should read gunked up there

FlouncingInTheRain Tue 04-Apr-17 10:19:34

Ideally, you need to get to the back of the fridge and ensure you've cleaned the hole right through thoroughly.

Usually, there's a sort of external drip tray at the back where excess moisture collects and evaporates.

I use a cocktail stick and then pour a jug of boiling water through (but have a jug and an old towel to collect the boiling water.

If your fridge is freezing.. is it too cold - has the setting been knocked and are you putting lots of uncovered still warm food in it?

QuizTeamaAguilera Tue 04-Apr-17 10:49:50

Right, thank you! I'll try pull it out investigate the back, and try find a cocktail stick! I really thought there'd be some troubleshooting section of the manual but there was nothing.

QuizTeamaAguilera Tue 04-Apr-17 10:54:56

Is 1 colder than 5 on the temperature dial? We generally have quite a clear and ordered fridge with just milk/OJ/yoghurts/salad bits in there, I never put anything in that's really hot. The food isn't freezing but the ice plugging the hole is confused

FlouncingInTheRain Tue 04-Apr-17 12:14:52

I've just googled Candy fridge temperature dials and I believe 5 is the coldest setting.

If the hole keeps blocking and is big enough, you could put a thickish thread through it with a small weight on the outside end. Then to clear it you'd just need to give the thread on the inside a tug and it should pull out any ice plug.

One other thought is are the fridge seals sealing properly - sometimes a small particle of food or spill on a section of seal can affect how it closes so a good gentle wipe over with a warm wet cloth can help.

QuizTeamaAguilera Tue 04-Apr-17 13:51:42

Ah thank you Flouncing! I'm sure I googled but couldn't find a conclusive answer. I'll give the seals a wipe round too.

hairymuffet Tue 04-Apr-17 15:35:31

If you can't find a cocktail stick, use a straw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now