Talk

Advanced search

How do you clean your jewellery? Both cheap and not so cheap stuff?

(8 Posts)
bushwick Sun 02-Apr-17 19:59:39

Have been given a new jewellery box for my b'day and was looking at my stash of bling. Some of it is really quite tarnished and I was wondering how to go about cleaning it. Can you clean up costume stuff? Also I have some proper bling that needs tlc too. Any thought on good products? I saw a sort of jewellery bath thing, but is that just a gimmick? What do jewellers use?

itwillallturnarounds Sun 02-Apr-17 20:17:56

My nan gave me some really old jewellery which needed cleaning and i use this jewellery cleaner just dip it in the soloution for a couple of minutues and then take it out and give it a scrub with the brush that's included and that gets rid of most dirt etc etc from it leaving it nice and clean.

ILoveMonkeys Sun 02-Apr-17 20:31:00

I used to work in a jewellers. Learnt a few tricks. Either full fat Coke. Has to be proper Coke cola not cheap one, and has to be full fat stuff. Or vinegar. Soak overnight and use a toothbrush to get in all the settings etc.

purplecoathanger Sun 02-Apr-17 20:32:54

I take my nice stuff to the jewellers. I do this because it's valuable and they always check the stone settings for you.

Watto1 Sun 02-Apr-17 20:33:44

I haven't tried it myself but, according to my Gran, popping jewellery into a glass of gin overnight brings it up a treat!

WhisperingLoudly Sun 02-Apr-17 20:37:46

I use gin or vodka for a superficial sparkle on diamonds and gold/platinum - just soak overnight.

Rubies, emeralds and sapphires are more porous and need to be treated a bit more gently so I tend to take to jewellers.

Silver I use liquid silver cleaner and soak and buff then store in jewellery box with silica gel and/or chalk.

GooodMythicalMorning Sun 02-Apr-17 20:40:03

Silver polishing cloth. Would be worried about putting jewellery in cola as it may affect the glue or settings.

FairyAnn Fri 07-Apr-17 16:01:10

I use this guide for my jewellery

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now