Advanced search

Private renting

(6 Posts)
user546 Sun 02-Apr-17 13:20:48

I don't know what this comes under but basically my DS is 3 months old and the council isn't willing to help us I live at my parents but it's a horrible atmosphere and badly over crowded so me and his father has decided to look at private renting we have a viewing for a property that's around £750 a month he brings home around £1200 after tax, in worried we won't be able to afford and I'm not sure what's benefits we are intilted to like child tax, working tax housing benefit? Does anyone know anything about this?

NorfolksGiven Sun 02-Apr-17 13:24:57

Have a look at - enter all your income, savings etc and that will give you an accurate result.

Are you on maternity leave at the moment? That might make a difference going forward with any tax credits when that runs out.

user546 Sun 02-Apr-17 13:45:21

No I had to end my job while pregnant for different reason but thank you I'll have a look

e1y1 Sun 02-Apr-17 17:51:47

If you spend more than 30% of your take home pay on rent per month, you are classed as in "rent poverty".

Of course, plenty of people will be spending upwards of 30%, but in an ideal world, you want to be as close to this as possible.

£750 on a £1200 take home is 50%+ - so for me personally, this would be far too high.

Is this the first property you have seen you like? Are there others, of course geographically rent varies wildly.

Also, YY, definitely check what benefits you would be entitled to to help.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 08-Apr-17 10:34:23

Have you tried your local housing associations too?

specialsubject Tue 11-Apr-17 14:29:57

Ask for this to be moved to one of the money forums, might get more traffic.

That rent and that income won't pass an affordability test, sorry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: