Talk

Advanced search

What chores do your kids do?

(12 Posts)
Notsandwiches Sat 01-Apr-17 15:27:53

Our home is always messy. I can't get on top of things. I don't think I ever will. My kids - 15, 8 and 7 will help if I ask but don't have specific chores. I think this needs to change.

What do your kids do and do they get pocket money for doing it?

TIA

rabbit123 Sat 01-Apr-17 23:45:46

Emptying the dishwasher, taking out the rubbish, setting & clearing the table, sometimes dusting and vacuuming. They're responsible for their own bedrooms and get weekly pocket money for keeping them clean & tidy. They have their own laundry baskets that I empty and put their own clean washing away. They know how to use the washing machine too although I still do the weekly washing.

AtSea1979 Sat 01-Apr-17 23:49:35

Every day jobs: Taking bins out, looking after the animals, clearing the draining board, sweeping under the table, emptying the maidens and putting it away.
Pocket money: tidy room.
Additional money: washing car, hoovering through, dusting, mowing lawn, weeding.
DC are 11 and 8

ScarlettFreestone Sat 01-Apr-17 23:54:28

They don't have specific daily chores but they are expected to help without complaint any time assistance is requested.

So they do hoovering, dusting, clean mirrors, empty the bins, load and reload the dishwasher, put away groceries, weeding, fold laundry, strip beds, swap out towels and shred paper when asked. They also bring in the wheelie bins (not yet strong enough to put them out!)

Some weeks they won't be asked to do anything and some weeks (e.g. If guests are coming) they'll do lots.

They are always expected to keep their rooms tidy and put away their own laundry.

They are 9yo.

I don't pay them anything. Keeping the house clean and tidy is a communal family activity and a life skill. It's not a favour.

delilahbucket Sat 01-Apr-17 23:57:08

DS is 9. He empties the dishwasher daily and opens the downstairs blinds (we have a lot of windows). He puts out the recycling when asked, and is responsible for putting his clean clothes away.

cattychatty Sat 01-Apr-17 23:59:14

My ds (6) chore list for today was
tidy the toys away you room and bedroom
Do the recycling
Clean his sisters teddy (he's written on it)
Try a piece of orange
He has ADHD and asd and trying something new is tough but he'd sell his soul if he got to put a tick next to it

TheWindowDonkey Sun 02-Apr-17 00:20:29

11 year old. Hoovers whole of downstairs every other day, folds family washing twice a week, cooks an evening meal at least twice a week and makes all own lunches, mucks out every day (has a pony) feeds own animals and cleans them out once a week. Empties dishwasher.

6 year old. Lays and clears table and fills dishwasher every meal, Helps clean kitchen after cooking and feeds animals. Likes to help with hoover and bathroom (sinks not loos!)

Both clean and tidy their own rooms and strip their beds on laundry day, elsdest remakes own bed, youngest does it with my help. Both clean up their own things every day.

We're a team, we all make the mess so we all clean it up. We dont pay them for chores as noone pays us. smile

jajeb Tue 04-Apr-17 17:12:31

11 year old twins here.
They get allowance, but it is not linked to chores - chores are just part of living together.
Before school: make beds, put pjs away, clear breakfast table, put dirty dishes in dishwasher
Sort laundry for washing, iron school shirts, keep bedrooms tidy, clean bathroom, empty & load dishwasher, put rubbish & recycling out

PotteringAlong Tue 04-Apr-17 17:16:54

5 year old - putting recycling in the recycling bin, tidying up toys, helping empty the dishwasher.
2 year old - toys and dishwasher (can't reach recycling bin!).

purplegreen99 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:23:33

I want to cry. How do you get your children to do all this? If I am lucky mine will empty the dishwasher once or twice a week, bring a few dirty mugs downstairs occasionally, maybe cook a meal once a month (but not clear up after themselves) - and I have to ask 20 times to get them to do these things. Their rooms are disgusting pits and mostly they leave dirty laundry where it falls. They are not motivated by money so paying them doesn't work, and I've obviously failed at getting them to see it as a part of family life, something they just have to do. I hope someone will post some tips on how they actually get their kids to do all this stuff.

FiddleFigs Wed 05-Apr-17 15:25:47

3 year old sets the table, puts away cutlery (after I've removed the sharp knives), tidies up her toys every evening (in the living room and her bedroom), dusts the skirting boards, sorts through and balls-up clean socks. I haven't trained her in anyway, or motivated her with stickers/rewards - she just always wants to help me with whatever I'm doing. I'm enjoying her enthusiasm while it lasts.

Notsandwiches Wed 05-Apr-17 17:31:33

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking I need a written laminated list. May also have to resort to blackmail with 8 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now