Talk

Advanced search

Fungus actual mushrooms in my carpet

(18 Posts)
ButtonPatch Fri 31-Mar-17 14:34:06

We started renting out house 7 months ago now
At 4 months we were told they would be selling the house and since that point they haven't done any of the repairs necessary (most of them only started to be apparent after a couple of months in the house)
Basically we've reported the radiator leaking since 2 or 3 weeks after we moved in and nothing has been done , they know there's damp coming through the ceiling and the plaster is peeling away but now there are mushrooms growing out of the carpet!
Luckily it's a room used for storage at the minute but i don't know what to do
I have the Windows open and a dehumidifier plugged in and switched on 24/7 the landlord just won't answer their phone to the agents

ButtonPatch Fri 31-Mar-17 14:44:52

These are the ones we found last night and got rid of but now thin red tubes have grown over night

SnowBallsAreHere Fri 31-Mar-17 14:46:22

Yuk. If agent and/or landlord won't deal with it, call environmental health.

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 31-Mar-17 14:48:20

Horrifying.

shirleycartersaidso Fri 31-Mar-17 14:51:18

Wow that is outrageous. Has the ll seen this?

marshhmallowsandcream Fri 31-Mar-17 14:55:40

That is actually revolting. Unbelievable.

I would with hold rent until something is done. That should get the bastards attention!

ButtonPatch Fri 31-Mar-17 15:07:14

The landlord hasn't seen anything because they won't get in touch I feel like im banging my head against a wall.
I'm worried like i have a 16 month old all her clothes are in drawers next to this patch
And im having to lock the cats away from their beds incase they eat them
It's making me feel sick going in there

If i report it again and nothing is done should i tell them I'm withholding the rent until it's sorted?
I'm worried they'll claim it's my fault but I've done everything to try and prevent it

Bluntness100 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:13:08

That is disgusting and can cause health issues, particularly with an infant in the house. A quick Google says remove them and steam clean the carpet basically.

ButtonPatch Fri 31-Mar-17 15:19:17

Thank you I'll wack the vax out now
Its making my skin itch I don't like things to be dirty and this is out of my control .. yuck
I've sprayed them with mould spray and antibacterial everything already 😖😝

crazycatgal Fri 31-Mar-17 15:28:26

Contact the council, they will come round and inspect the house and then tell the landlord to fix things or they will be fined

ButtonPatch Fri 31-Mar-17 20:48:32

Thank you i phoned the agents to tell them to get her to sort it and they said they will if they can get hold of her
But apparently in our file it says we had a new radiator valve fitted ... they sent a handyman who said he wasn't a plumber so the landlord said they'd send a plumber which never happened angry I'm livid if it was fixed when we first reported it I wouldn't have carried on reporting it for months
If i I don't hear anything back by Monday im going to environmental health
I've had to move all of my daughter's clothes out of her drawers now because its gotten under them too angry

marshhmallowsandcream Sat 01-Apr-17 04:36:23

There should be no ifs about it! You don't get to be a landlord and just fuck off the face of the earth and ignore house problems!

Feel so sore

marshhmallowsandcream Sun 02-Apr-17 17:20:02

Just checked back on this thread, it should have ended, I feel so sorry for you!
blush

HughLauriesStubble Sun 02-Apr-17 17:24:33

This happened me and it turned out that the house had awful drainage/leak problems. We moved after a few months as ll couldn't sort it despite using a dehumidifier etc.

ButtonPatch Sun 02-Apr-17 17:33:57

I know it's getting ridiculous
It's because of a leaky radiator that they haven't fixed for 6 months it's got all the carpet soaked and now mushrooms in it . I've sprayed the stalks that were there with alsorts and they've not grown anymore hopefully they'll pull their finger out

iloveanicecake Fri 14-Apr-17 21:05:02

I hope this is fixed by now, but if not I'd be tempted to try an Athletes Foot powder/ spray - as it is antifungal.
Best of luck!

MargotLovedTom1 Fri 14-Apr-17 21:07:10

Running a dehumidifier so much will be expensive as well sad.

0nline Fri 14-Apr-17 21:16:52

If your open windows and dehumidifier are in the same room, the dehumidifier is basically trying to dehumidify the world and won't be working efficiently on sucking up all the moisture in the room.

Close the windows, up the temperature in the room and see if that helps. Although if the leak is ongoing it is going to feel like a losing battle whatever you do to some extent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now