Talk

Advanced search

Tiny brown beetles! Help please!

(13 Posts)
lovebug77 Sun 26-Mar-17 21:47:56

So the last month or so I have noticed these tiny brown beetles type insects around the window sills and sink in my bathroom. Maybe one or two a day or every other day. The last week or so I have noticed more and more. We have a spare room opposite the bathroom, and we keep it as a dressing room, and somewhere to keep the clothes drying rack thingy. So there are always wet clothes drying. Anyway this afternoon I went in and saw the spare room window covered in these tiny insects!!! And more on the window sill and and floor, some looked dead! They don't move very fast, and have wings I think! They are brown, tiny, about 1-2mm. What are they?? The only thing I can think it could be caused by is the damp??? The room isn't very big, and none of the upstairs windows have air vents. We did have condensation upstairs on the windows most mornings and I managed to sort that by opening the windows everyday for as long as possible. I can't think what else it could be! Am freaking out 😩😩😩

MissisBoote Sun 26-Mar-17 21:51:23

Woodworm beetle?
Do you have wooden floors? Any little holes with dust on the window sills?

CookieLady Sun 26-Mar-17 21:51:49

Pics needed. Could be a couple of different type of bugs.

Twoevils Sun 26-Mar-17 21:53:01

Are they kind of stripy? They could be carpet beetles which are active this time of year. Never heard of them swarming particularly though.

Flamingale Sun 26-Mar-17 22:47:11

I've got south facing dry room that's not used much at the moment. Got a shock a couple of days ago when found the large bay window ledge covered with live and dead little beetles. Some around the floor underneath the window as well.

I don't think it's woodworm beetles. No tiny holes around the place. And I don't think it's carpet bettles as laminate was put down a few months ago.

I had the same problem last year too. It stops after a short time. Just want to know where they are coming from and how to stop them.

Flowerydems Sun 26-Mar-17 22:51:48

Sounds like carpet beetles, they don't only live where there's carpet but anywhere there's a food source

previously1474etc Tue 28-Mar-17 02:55:01

Carpet beetles are usually dark brown/black with little spots and you don't don't find them in quantities, how big are they?

Do you have any furniture that has come from overseas? Do they have pointy 'noses' ? Any dry pet food in the house or bird seed?

StaggerLeee Tue 28-Mar-17 10:12:03

We have a problem with biscuit beetles a few years ago. They'd been brought in inside dried peppers. Google them.

StaggerLeee Tue 28-Mar-17 10:14:18

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drugstore_beetle

UterusUterusGhali Tue 28-Mar-17 10:17:08

Thunderbugs?
They were a thing in my youth. You don't see many these days.
When it's fine but threatening a storm they swarm inside for some reason. Air pressure maybe?
We used to get swarms on the ceiling in our cottage.

previously1474etc Tue 28-Mar-17 22:51:57

I was thinking they might be grain weevils which are very, very small and live in food, there are some other beetles which also live in food, and some which live in wood in imported furniture which I why I asked the questions earlier.

Would be interested to know...

Flamingale Tue 28-Mar-17 23:12:49

I'm beginning to get quite worried now. The beetles (lots them) were on the window ledge and nearby. Other side of room is clear. But I do have a few boxes of unopened bookshelves etc from Argos. Been there quite a few years blush.

previously1474etc Wed 29-Mar-17 15:21:14

If you can't identify them online or get a photo there's not much anyone can do on here to help you, I have tried hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now