Talk

Advanced search

Help! Fleas? Bugs?

(2 Posts)
TheGirlWhoLovedTomGordon Sun 26-Mar-17 08:22:06

Wasn't sure where to post this. Am so stressed out sad

Over the last month me and three DCs keep getting bites. Started off as a few but now we are COVERED! Whatever the insects are, they seem to be concentrated in the bedrooms, as DD and DS2 woke up yesterday morning with about 7 or 8 new ones, and DS2 has come into me this morning with another 6! 🙁 I'm so upset!
Last week I stripped all the beds, boil washed the bedding, vacuumed the whole house, including the mattresses and sofas and sprayed all the beds and sofas, with a spray from Wilkinsons.
We have a cat but I can't find anything on her. DH hasn't been bitten at all, and DS1 hardly at all.
How am I going to get rid of whatever it is?! I'm at my wits end. The poor kids! sad

Flamingale Sun 26-Mar-17 18:08:46

I'm sorry to read that you are suffering like this. First thing to do is to establish what type of insect you're dealing with. Google flea and bed bug bites. I've read that flea bites are more commonly on the legs and ankles which I experienced when I first moved into my house. Previous owners had a cat.

If the bites are all over and maybe in a line of three or so bites it may be bed bugs. Check the seams of your matresses very carefully, including the button things on the surfaces if you have them. Also check sofas. Bed bugs are on the rise and can be brought into the house in second hand furniture.

The best bet is to contact your local council pest control service and get them to identify the culprit. They may charge but it's usually cheaper than other companies. Also if it's bed bugs they are difficult to treat as they can hide in the smallest of gaps and the pest controller should be able to treat the affected area better than you can.

First thing to do is

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now