Talk

Advanced search

Mice in the house.

(10 Posts)
Iinventedpostits Wed 22-Mar-17 12:38:25

We found a mouse nest last week sad. All cleaned up and traps set. We haven't seen anything since and nothing has been caught but this morning my 7month DD was playing on the floor and when I went to pick her up there was something on her hand... a mouse dropping angryangryangry I am seething and disgusted and every other emotion that isn't a good one. Does anyone have any ideas or tips to get rid of them completely? I'm also petrified my DD is now going to contract some sort of disease and I'm freaking out. Am I just being a bit crazy with that?

Iinventedpostits Wed 22-Mar-17 12:39:11

Oh just to add, we haven't actually seen a mouse yet. Just the nest and the droppings.

Bluntness100 Wed 22-Mar-17 12:42:38

There was a thread on this awhile ago, I have had little field mice on and off since we moved to this house three years ago. Someone on the thread suggested one of those plug in sonic mouse deterrents, they emit a loud constant noise that humans can't hear.

Wiki says the mouse leave then come back, but it's the first time we have went three months without any mice. So it's clearly working. Amazon do them and they cost about twenty quid.

Iinventedpostits Wed 22-Mar-17 12:47:16

Ooooo ill give that a go! I've heard bad and good but I don't have anything to lose. Thank you smile

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Wed 22-Mar-17 12:48:33

Mean looking mouse munching cat?!

rosel27 Wed 22-Mar-17 12:52:36

This happened to me last Christmas and it was awful. They were nesting behind the oven (didn't realise for a few days as we hadn't cooked at home due to it being Christmas and visiting various relatives).

My tips would be keep everything really clean and disinfected (I'm sure you are already!), don't leave any food in bottom cupboards or on units (even fruit bowls etc. - they like fruit!) We also put some cotton wool soaked in peppermint oil under the kitchen units and in all corners, sealed up all holes with expanding foam (think ours were coming in behind the boiler) and bought a plug in thing that sends out a high pitched noise to deter them. We stopped seeing droppings after a few days. I was told to avoid putting poison down due to having young DSS in the house. Also, not sure if this is the same everywhere but I wouldn't bother ringing the council/pest control as they just offered to put the same poison down that you can buy from B&Q.

Hope you sort it out. It feels like a violation of your home sad

rosel27 Wed 22-Mar-17 12:53:47

Slight x post with bluntness there** - the plug in things are great and they stop spiders too! Mine was £29 from Amazon

Iinventedpostits Wed 22-Mar-17 16:18:43

Thank you for your replies! My Mum has offered to lend me her car for a few days! Haha, starting to consider it. It really does feel like a violation rosel27. We've worked so hard to make the house lovely and it's always clean, (not always tidy I'll admit) but we do what we can. It just freaks me out that they've been here for god knows how long without us knowing. I've ordered a plug in repellant so fingers crossed that works!! Ill move all food out of the bottom cupboards and keep the fruit in the fridge.

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Sun 26-Mar-17 19:34:56

Just a word of warning...I bought one of those sonic things from Amazon; the one that sends the signal around the wiring as well as from the actual unit. I sent it back for a couple of reasons. 1. The unit is BIG. When plugged into a double socket you can't use the switch and it makes it hard to use the other socket. 2. Although I couldn't 'hear' anything we quickly worked out that it was the unit doing 'something' to my ears. There was a sensation in my ears which built into horrendous headache and nausea. DH even tried turning the unit on and off at random times without me knowing and I could tell as soon as it was on.

Iinventedpostits Wed 29-Mar-17 13:08:57

Oh that's sounds awful bugger. We've ordered one and it gets here Monday, ill give it a try and send it back if need be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now