Talk

Advanced search

washing clothes without washing powder?

(7 Posts)
imouttalove Tue 21-Mar-17 17:39:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

e1y1 Wed 22-Mar-17 01:25:34

Do you mean as a one off, or on a more permanent basis?

As a one off, would say there wouldn't be a huge problem - there would probably be enough residual detergent in the machine/clothes to do that wash.

A permanent basis - I would say definitely not, water will go some way towards cleaning clothing, but of course, detergents contain ingredients that remove and suspend dirt in the water until it is rinsed away. If that is not happening, over time the clothes will become very dingy.

drquin Wed 22-Mar-17 03:12:41

Yeah .... it would be more "rinsing" though, wouldn't it? I've just washed gym kit whilst on holiday, in the bathroom sink with shower gel. It's great for freshening it up on a daily basis, for a few days, but I'm not sure I'd class it as "washing" the clothes though.

WaegukSaram Wed 22-Mar-17 03:22:15

Yes, you could use soap nuts.

yecartmannew Wed 22-Mar-17 03:28:20

Use soap nuts or an ecoegg (ecoegg lasts for 720 washes )

RedSandYellowSand Wed 22-Mar-17 04:37:27

We use soap nuts, with an occasional non bio wash for stained uniform (maybe every half term).

AstrantiaMajor Wed 22-Mar-17 07:30:35

It dependents on the soiling type. You can freshen up your clothes by putting them through a cold wash or rinse cycle if they are not very dirty.

If you use hot water without some form of detergent, then you may set some stains rather than remove them. Is there a particular reason why you ask?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now