Talk

Advanced search

Smoke alarm which can be disabled/switched off?

(9 Posts)
SouthLondonDaddy Tue 21-Mar-17 14:29:17

Is there a smoke alarm which can be disabled? I am thinking of either one with an 'off' button, or maybe some kind of cover that can be applied to make sure the alarm does not go off.
A lot of googling but no results.

We tried covering the alarm with a plastic bag, but it doesn't work. Oh, of course we have a kitchen hood, open the balcony in our kitchen and wave towels up and down to try to get the smoke out, but, still, every single time we cook some meat, the alarm goes off.
The unit we have now has a button to disable the alarm for a short period of time, but quite simply it does not work.

Even if this button worked, it wouldn't be ideal: the whole reason I am asking is that the alarm is a big, big shock for our little daughter. After the last time it went off, she seemed really traumatised, and kept pointing at the ceiling every single time she stepped in the kitchen, asking if it was going to go off again.

I understand that an 'off' button would be a safety hazard, because people could forget to turn the alarm back on, but surely there must be a compromise between having a functioning alarm and traumatising a little toddler? Maybe a button which can preemptively disable the alarm for, say, 20-30 minutes, so you have time to cook but at the same time there's no risk of forgetting to turn it back on?

SouthLondonDaddy Tue 21-Mar-17 14:30:39

PS The only solution I can think of is to get a ladder, remove the batteries, cook, get the ladder again, put the batteries back on, and compliment the evidently childless geniuses who invented these thingies.

SnowBallsAreHere Tue 21-Mar-17 14:31:23

Is it in your kitchen?
If so, change it to a heat sensor alarm rather than a smoke alarm.

May09Bump Tue 21-Mar-17 14:35:09

Agree you need it switched to a heat sensor

StarryIllusion Tue 21-Mar-17 14:48:58

It probably is already on heat sendor, that is why mine always goes off. Better to get her used to it surely. Get her to help you test it maybe?

sonlypuppyfat Tue 21-Mar-17 14:51:09

We ended up buying one that wouldn't react to cooking. Ours was a good way from the kitchen but it would go off if you made a cuppa or even if it rained

RedSandYellowSand Tue 21-Mar-17 14:57:34

Do you own the house? Relocating the alarm to somewhere further from the kitchen is the safest thing. No temporary disabling, and possible forgetting to put back.
Not a simple solution tho.

SouthLondonDaddy Tue 21-Mar-17 15:01:42

Is the one that wouldn't react to cooking a heat sensor, as opposed to a smoke detector?

I understand there are regulations making it compulsory to fit smoke detectors; do these apply only to a landlord renting out a property, or also to people living in a property they own?

I currently have two interlinked smoke detectors: one in the kitchen and one in the hallway. I suppose I should replace the one in the kitchen with a heat detector, and replace the one in the hallway with a new one (one in which the hush button actually works). I'm hoping this should be fine with both regulations and common sense!

By the way, I was imprecise in my first post: the smoke detectors are mains-operated, with a battery backup, so removing the battery is not enough.

Ah, when we installed an ADT alarm, they also installed a battery-only smoke detector, which came with a very convenient plastic cap that can be put on and off and effectively disables the detector.

Thanks!

Genius46 Sun 26-Mar-17 16:57:36

Buy an inline switch and battery holder, take battery out, join inline switch and battery holder to battery circuit, test, turn switch off, put battery in holder, turn switch on, test. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now