Talk

Advanced search

Mouldy shower - help

(11 Posts)
pastyface Sat 18-Mar-17 19:36:19

Our shower is awful and needs replacing. In the meantime we have resealed round the tray with a combination of that strip stuff you can buy plus dh then sealed around that with sealant (is it silicone?) The problem is it's all gone black and mouldy. We've got visitors this weekend and I am really embarrassed for them to see the state of the shower cubicle! I got some of that Mould and Mildew remover and left it on for a good half hour before rinsing off - have done this twice now - it has had no effect whatsoever. What can I do to get rid of it? Or are we going to have to peel all the sealant off and start again? (Can't scrub the sealant too hard or it starts coming off!)

Manijo Sat 18-Mar-17 19:38:27

just get some Cillit Bang on it or mould cleaner...it's really not rocket science

GallivantingWildebeest Sat 18-Mar-17 19:39:55

Nothing will work. You need to remove the sealant and reseal.

All the products - like Cillit Bang - that say they remove black mould? They lie.

19thJuly2017 Sat 18-Mar-17 19:46:26

See if you can get a chemical called hypochloride from a garden centre or somewhere similar. You'll need to dilute it down with water because it's extremely strong and wear old clothes, keep away from carpets etc because it will bleach anything it comes into contact with.

I can almost guarantee it will get the mould off - it's the chemical dairy farmers use to clean down their parlours (I'm a farmer's daughter and know about odd tricks like this that come in handy around the house). If this doesn't work I don't think anything will (other than stripping silicone and resealing).

We dilute with water and put in a spray bottle like the ones kitchen cleaners come in. Spray it over your shower and it will come up sparkling - but as I said be very very careful, it's strong even once diluted and will ruin anything fabric that it comes into contact with.

PosiePootlePerkins Sat 18-Mar-17 19:50:08

HG mould spray. Stinks to high heaven but does the job. Leave it on for half an hour then rinse off.

PosiePootlePerkins Sat 18-Mar-17 19:51:03

This

user1489849565 Sat 18-Mar-17 19:56:33

Get yourself some HG mould remover, this stuff will do the trick!

WeAllHaveWings Sat 18-Mar-17 20:19:37

If you've done this recently It shouldn't be mouldy yet, did you use shower sealant or just normal sealant? Shower sealant is mould resistant.

helenfagain Sat 18-Mar-17 20:23:29

Lay toilet roll over it,put bleach on top and leave overnight. Remove toilet roll and rinse. Got this trick from Mumsnet and it works really well.

abc12345 Sat 18-Mar-17 22:19:01

Bleach spray overnight

cuddlymunchkin Sat 18-Mar-17 22:24:51

I searched mumsnet for this very problem when I left my rented place a few months ago. The advice was to put a bit of bleach in a plastic pot (I used an empty muller rice pot) and add bicarbonate of soda. Mix to a thickish paste. Spread on the mould, leave for an hour or so, come back and scrub with toothbrush then wash off. Works amazingly well - thank you mumsnet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now