Talk

Advanced search

Basic info on cleaners please?

(25 Posts)
OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Sun 12-Mar-17 16:32:19

I know this info is technically all out there but I just want some opinions and realism from you lot if I can.

I think I need s cleaner, but I don't know if I can afford one or if the amount of time I can afford would be worth it.

3 bedroomed house, me, 2 dcs and a puppy.

I'm wondering how much a professional cleaner charges and how many hours a week I would need in order to make a difference to me.

Also, had anyone ever had a professional deep clean of the whole house? How much/how long was that?

I keep thinking I should just knuckle down and do a better job myself, but I'm too tired and time-poor, and I just don't seem to keep on top of it. I end up spending my weekends just tidying and never get to a place where a deep clean is feasible sadenvy

Misericord Sun 12-Mar-17 16:52:33

I have a cleaner - she is amazing. It makes me extremely happy. My husband and I both work long hours and long commutes, and the last thing I want to do at the weekend is clean.... it's me, DH and the cat. No kids. Judge away ;)

Our cleaner comes for three hours every two weeks for our two bedroom house. That works out pretty perfectly for us - makes a HUGE difference with occasional topping up.

BackforGood Sun 12-Mar-17 17:21:36

I have a cleaner - 2 hours a week makes an AMAZING difference both to the house, and to my mental state. I sort of wonder around with a big grin on my face all evening on the day she comes grin.

The fact I know she is coming, also forces me to have a good tidy each week, which, in my pre-cleaner days I would be more likel to have 'left for another day'.

Oh, I pay £10 an hour, and my cleaner brings her own sprays, cloths, etc.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Sun 12-Mar-17 17:40:06

Thank you both!

I might have to bite the bullet. I'm losing the battle on my own.

PlugUgly Sun 12-Mar-17 17:58:30

I pay 12 pounds per hour and have a cleaner for a whopping 10 hours! Does all the ironing and moves furniture etc the house sparkles. I used to do it myself and was a martyr to it, go for it, it has massively improved my life !

SherlocksDeerstalker Sun 12-Mar-17 18:00:33

We have someone three hours a week for £10p/h - makes a massive difference to us, although with two small children I am constantly cleaning anyway!

Chewbecca Sun 12-Mar-17 18:02:03

£11ph, 3 hours a week. Doesn't make the house immaculate but keeps it a good basic level of clean and I never stress about it. Money very well spent for me.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Sun 12-Mar-17 18:03:28

Exactly the same as Back.
Just me, DH and the cat.
2 hours a week for a three bed semi.
Like Back said it makes me tidy once a week.

ellaki Sun 12-Mar-17 18:09:29

2 bed flat and our cleaner comes every other week for 3.5hr and does it all plus some ironing (although not loads)

Now with DS I am thinking of making it weekly.
It is a simple thing and some might see it as a luxury as our flat is not that big but it seriously improves quality of life!

We pay £11ph but I think you could find with £10 too. This is in London.

You could also try out a one off and do a trial run? It might help you decide and work out timings.
You can book via app, such as hassle or BIZZBY.
That is how I started ...
Then found a regular via recommendation

JoJoSM2 Sun 12-Mar-17 19:04:43

I'd imagine 3h should be sufficient for a 3-bed house provided that it's tidy. I think tidiness is an important factor - with toys/clothes/whatever else scattered everywhere, the cleaner needs a lot more time to allow for moving the mess.

gamerwidow Sun 12-Mar-17 19:11:19

I have a cleaner for 3 hours once a fortnight for £10.50/hour. It is immaculate when she leaves but quickly gets dirty again due to s combination of DD, untidy DH and a cat that walks mud everywhere. We could do with a weekly view sit really but I cant afford it. One of the terms of our contract was that we had a deep clean before the weekly clean started. This cost £80 I think and they were every thorough, they even did things like the washing machine drawer.

LadyMetroland Sun 12-Mar-17 20:56:10

Large 5 bed house, 3hrs a week. £12ph south east. I literally never do any cleaning myself as I have zero time or inclination. Would rather go without other things than go without a cleaner as it radically improves my quality of life.

Proper deep cleaning is expensive. Had to do it at end of tenancies back in the day of renting. It cost hundreds, but was totally amazing. Every nook and cranny sparkled. Some cleaners offer it but it's not the same as getting professional deep clean firm in.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Sun 12-Mar-17 21:29:41

This is so helpful, thank you everyone 😊 I'm going to investigate my local firms, I think I need to do this!

BackforGood Sun 12-Mar-17 23:26:29

It takes them quite a bit longer the first time, and, once they get used to your house (even things like where the socket is for the vacuum), and get used to what it is you want doing, then they speed up. My cleaner told me this, and it worked out that way. What she did in 2 hours on the first week, she now (a few months in) does in about an hour and a 1/4. I have a wonderful, flexible cleaner who will then do other 'one off' or 'occasional' jobs for me in those spare 30 - 40mins. You will have to decide if you want a number of hours / minutes that they are present, or if you want X, Y, and Z done, however long it takes. (ie, that you don't mind them leaving 15mins earlier if they work faster as they get to know the job, as it causes a lot of angst on here).

hellokittymania Sun 12-Mar-17 23:38:09

I have a wonderful cleaner who comes when I need her . I am away quite a lot and I can also trust her to do things when I am not around . I paid her 10 pounds an hour but she not only does cleaning but also helps with shopping cooking and a few other things as well .

maryf123 Wed 15-Mar-17 10:38:18

Best way to hire a cleaner is to go on review sites and check who has more positive reviews. You can filter out the search with your area to avoid a long distance hiring cost. I think this is the best way to hire a professional cleaner for a non technical person. Good luck

BerylStreep Thu 16-Mar-17 11:38:47

I pay £12.50 per hour, and provide all cleaning materials. I think it is on the high side for where we are, but they generally do a good job.

I tidy up ahead of time, so that the cleaner is spending their time cleaning, not tidying. 5 Bed house, 3 receptions, gets done in 2 1/2 hours per week.

I got my agency through a recommendation.

ladydoer Thu 16-Mar-17 16:43:42

3 hours a week every week, paying £11ph (agency). The maid is cleaning pretty much everything I need - one week she does deep cleaning of oven, the other deep cleaning of fridge, cupboards, etc. No time really to deal with these on my own, plus the maid seems to finish everything within half the time it takes me

Early spring book them for deep cleaning and carpet/sofa cleaning.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 16-Mar-17 16:57:00

I am a cleaner!!
Don't be afraid to leave lists when she first starts!!
And don't be worried about pointing out bits she has missed!!
Good luck - your life is about to be transformed!!

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Fri 17-Mar-17 07:33:29

Thank you all! I'm off work today so going to look online for someone grin

MrsEricBana Fri 17-Mar-17 07:39:52

Hi, I have a lovely cleaner for two hours per week. She does approx half the house each week on rotation and I keep it tidy in between with the odd bathroom wipe round and keeping kitchen clean. This is a life changer for me. Even 2hr/week which doesn't sound much. Go for it!!

bec3105 Fri 17-Mar-17 07:45:22

I'd estimate a good deep clean to cost £60 and take 4-5 hours.
A regular weekly clean probably three hours a week at £10-£12 an hour.
If you can afford it go for it and don't feel guilty. Frees up your time to do something more fun than housework in your free time.

SlatternIsTrying Fri 17-Mar-17 11:24:39

I have a cleaner, she is wonderful. She comes 3 times a fortnight and I pay her £12.50 per hour.

She keeps this house going. She also does extra wee things for us without asking - taking dog out for a pee/ puts a load of washing in if she sees the laundry basket full/ take a bag to the charity shop on the way home because she knows I'm busy.

If you get a good one you will not look back.

SwearyGodmother Fri 17-Mar-17 11:29:22

Rather than check out agencies I'd ask friends or neighbours. We've never done well with agency cleaners - high staff turnover and the agency takes such a cut they're only on minimum wage. Our marvel is self employed and we pay her £10 per hour. I found her through a neighbour and she comes on a Friday and does a whole day for a few flats in our block (3 hours for me). I'd never give her up and will be gutted if she ever leaves us.

BackforGood Fri 17-Mar-17 13:08:12

Totally agree with last poster.
Like most "trades" I've employed over donkeys years, the best never need to advertise - they are always full by personal recommendation.
People are often almost embarrassed about the fact they have a cleaner, so might not have mentioned it, but if you ask people up front if anyone knows of anyone - neighbours, colleagues, friends in things you belong to / go to - you'll probably find there are a lot more people than you know, that have a cleaner. You are then getting a personal recommendation and will also not be paying agency fees on top of what the cleaner gets paid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now