Talk

Advanced search

Porcelain floor tiles without underfloor heating

(8 Posts)
user1489228947 Sat 11-Mar-17 10:53:39

I'm so disappointed - we have been planning to have a lovely wooden floor for the living room and hall for ages. Husband suddenly arranged a builder to come last week leaving us a few days to pick the flooring. It was also one of the busiest weeks at work I've ever had and so the trip to pick the floor was a mad dash, resulting in porcelain wood effect floor tiles being chosen. When I queried if they would be more suitable for a kitchen due to being cold, hard, dust going into the grout etc I was criticised for not letting him have "any luxury". Anyway, the floor is down without any underfloor heated and it is absolutely freezing, like walking on concrete and not the cozy warm look we wanted at all. And I can tell already its going to be a dust collector. Aside from wanting an award for refraining from showing my disappointment, does anyone know if they can be made warmer??? Can they be treated in any way or am I being wildly optimistic about the wonders of science?!

Idefix Sat 11-Mar-17 15:55:07

Slippers grin sorry not helpful, in the summer that will be lovely cooling to walk on.

From a dust PoV I don't think there is a lot to be done, we have had the same issue with laminate and quarry tiles carpet absorbs the dust so you don't notice it so much

Butterflystar76 Sat 11-Mar-17 16:03:13

As an aside, how do they look?

user1489228947 Sat 11-Mar-17 16:50:20

They look "alright", they seem to absorb light so overall the room has become darker. They would be lovely in a kitchen but they are not right for the lounge - certainly not without underfloor heating.

OutandIn Sat 11-Mar-17 16:53:02

I would buy a large rug. Recommend RugVista - not to ££ for large rug and free delivery and return.

kitkat321 Sat 11-Mar-17 23:45:48

We have porcelain tiles through our hall leading into the kitchen and downstairs washroom.

I was worried about it being cold and too hard - especially with a young child but it's been fine - our tiles are cream (that I regret!) so we have a runner in the hall and I also recently bought a large rug for the kitchen but not because I found it cold or hard but because every tiny water mark shows up on the cream tiles and I drove me nuts - that said, I do find it more cosy with the rugs.

statetrooperstacey Sun 12-Mar-17 09:54:22

We have wood effect floor tiles all through downstairs, awesome in summer. Socks or slippers in winter and a large rug in living room. I love them certainly no dustier than any other hard flooring . Also pretty much indestructible. My floor had a fight with massive heavy le cruseut (sp?!) casserole dish. The floor won! The casserole dish actually broke clean in half and the floor not even a scratch. Learn to love it!

user1489228947 Sun 12-Mar-17 10:37:18

Thanks all - yes we already have a large rug in the living room. I've found a company that do 'under rug heating' (who knew there was such a thing?!) and I think that will be a solution of sorts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now