Talk

Advanced search

What is the stingiest shit you do for no reason?

(181 Posts)
mowgelijeffs Wed 08-Mar-17 17:16:10

I'm wondering what people do that is really stingey but they honestly don't need to?

We are able to afford new dish cloths and sponges but I always wash them in the washing machine blush until they shrink to nothing or the sponge looks like someone ate it.

My dad used to put cheap kitchen spray in my mums expensive bottle and she never knew 😂

My husband waters down hand soap? That really annoys me.

Ok I'll think of more. But tell me what you lot do!

liverpoolsfun Wed 08-Mar-17 17:18:25

I reuse foil, I wash it up and fold it carefully and put it away into a drawer.

AtiaoftheJulii Wed 08-Mar-17 17:20:44

Keep tiny amounts of leftovers and make myself eat them for lunch the next day.

MrsMarigold Wed 08-Mar-17 17:21:54

I squeeze every last bit of toothpaste out of the tube, I jump on it, then when it seems well and truly finished I cut it open and smear the last bits onto the brush.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 08-Mar-17 17:22:20

I snip out and save those little ribbons from the shoulders of tops. They annoy me so I have to remove them but I can't bear to throw them away!

tldr Wed 08-Mar-17 17:24:04

It's not stingy, it's frugal, and I'm placemarking for ideas. (I stretch mince with mushrooms. I don't care that no-one likes mushrooms.)

Flanderspigeonmurderer Wed 08-Mar-17 17:24:19

I have a collection of free plastic spoons/knives/forks still in the wrapper from Waitrose and m&s in my cutlery drawer. Just in case.
I will probably never use them!

Destinysdaughter Wed 08-Mar-17 17:25:45

I get the last bit of foundation in those glass bottles by taking off the pump lid, turning it upside down and decanting it into a little plastic pot. Loads comes out and is handy for travelling too!

highinthesky Wed 08-Mar-17 17:27:54

My mum always added water to the last dregs of the ketchup bottle, which I always hated.

My sister has adopted this habit, along with the mantra "there's life in it". shock

Tartyflette Wed 08-Mar-17 17:35:07

When I make cakes I scrape the mixing bowl out obsessively to get absolutely ALL the mixture into the cake tin, I can't bear to leave even half a a teaspoonful behind. It just seems so wasteful to put it in the sink or dishwasher with cake mixture still in it.
I'm not at all a thrifty person, quite the reverse.....
As the saying goes: I'm idiosyncratic, you're just weird

ArchNotImpudent Wed 08-Mar-17 17:38:56

I get the last bit out of shampoo and conditioner bottles by filling them with water and shaking them.

noenergy Wed 08-Mar-17 17:39:34

I put water into shampoo, shower gel and washing up liquid when no more will come out, I shake it a little to mix it all up n it lasts ages.

Also roll up toothpaste tube to get last bits outs.

noenergy Wed 08-Mar-17 17:40:17

arch, posted about same thing at same time!!

DevelopingDetritus Wed 08-Mar-17 17:40:38

I cut tubes of face wash, facial scrub etc in half to get the dregs out. I did it today with some hair conditioner, there was another load to condition my hair with. You can put the tubes together again by pushing one inside the other.

paxillin Wed 08-Mar-17 17:42:45

I cut open the back of tubes of toothpaste or face cream to scoop out leftovers.

MollyRedskirts Wed 08-Mar-17 17:44:34

I cut tubes of face cream or make-up in half to get the last few drops of it.

I re-use tin foil a few times if it's only been used on the grill for toast.

Whenever I get given bath stuff or shower gel that I don't like, it either goes into my miscellaneous presents bag for re-gifting (with a post-it attached with who it was from originally so I don't accidentally give it back!), or I use it as liquid soap. If I really hate it, I use it to clean the sink and bath.

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 08-Mar-17 17:47:01

Stingiest shit? Shit?? Do you mean "stingiest things"? Are we living in a fucking ghetto?

SillySongsWithLarry Wed 08-Mar-17 17:48:14

Nothing. My parents did all that as I was growing up and I vowed to not continue in their ways. I probably waste a tiny amount of money by not squeezing the dregs from a tube or bottle but I don't care.

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Wed 08-Mar-17 17:55:44

Some of these are making me grin

I'm getting stingier. The main thing at the moment is getting my knickers in a twist by getting toiletries/household stuff from the cheapest possible shops - i.e., savers, wilkos etc depending what it is. It's quite stressful and I'm usually only saving pennies confused

Dh has started putting any unused boiling water from the kettle into a thermos. I scoffed at first but it's surprisingly useful...

Peggy13 Wed 08-Mar-17 18:02:10

I have been using the same water in my hot water bottle for 3 years I empty it in to am old saucepan and heat it up again and again occasionly I have to top it up .

YouJumpIJumpJack Wed 08-Mar-17 18:05:32

Itsnice I love that idea!

I'm a bit boring, just the usual with tubes of toothpaste and we always eat left overs.

yorkshirepuddingandroastbeef Wed 08-Mar-17 18:11:08

Cut the top off the toothpaste, hand cream, moisturiser, etc. to get the last bit out.

Park further away down a side street so I don't have to pay for parking.

Selling anything and everything on eBay. Successes include £11.50 for a Chanel gift box and bag and £16.50 for a microchip cat flap that no longer worked. It is the running joke in this house that if it isn't nailed down I'll sell it on eBay. grin

Shopping on eBay and charity shops.

Eating leftovers for lunch.

Darlink Wed 08-Mar-17 18:13:13

Every single one of the above except the hot water bottle. That's genius. !

MinimumPaymentMaximumBurrito Wed 08-Mar-17 18:14:20

God. I'm a wasteful fucker.

Hoping for some stingspiration.

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Wed 08-Mar-17 18:15:41

I do loads of these things but more from an environmental perspective than a stingy one. I only use a small amount of powder in the washing machine and have an eco egg ( our compromise as DH is not convinced with the egg even though I have great results and had it for 10 years). I only have the hot water on for half hour a day. Enough for the little ones bath and hot water for hand washing the next day but the showers, dishwasher and washing machine are cold fill so it isn't needed. I water down the fabric softener. This is because when others 'help' they are heavy handed with it. There's loads more too I expect grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now