Talk

Advanced search

Is it even possible to get wee out of a mattress?

(4 Posts)
stinkingbishop Tue 07-Mar-17 21:38:46

DTD (4) bless her had horrid tummy bug over the weekend so I had her in my bed and she regressed a bit and did an almighty wee which seems to cover most of our very nice, obviously non-waterproof mattress.

Have tried the 'urine off' spray we had when the cat went through a phase of spraying everywhere, but to no avail. I read somewhere that loads of water and salt might do it, but it will have soaked deep into the mattress now won't it? It's sprung so presumably there are cavities in there and lots of fluffy stuff for it to have oozed into, whereas I'm just polishing the surface!

Are we just going to have to buy a new one?

PenelopeFlintstone Wed 08-Mar-17 07:58:05

Could you take it outside and vertically hose the wee patch, trying not to wet the rest of it? Probably the wrong time of year.

Yellowmono Wed 08-Mar-17 08:04:41

My DS went through a bed wetting phase when he had a bug a few months ago. I don't know about if it's soaked in to the mattress but what got rid of stains and smells for me was to wet the area thoroughly with white vinegar in a spray bottle and leave it to soak in. Then a few hours later blot it up as much as possible with kitchen towel. Sprinkle a thick layer of bicarbonate of soda all over the area and leave for another several hours. Then vacuum off. Surface wise the mattress looks fine and it doesn't smell at all.

stinkingbishop Wed 08-Mar-17 19:45:18

Thanks both. I think I probably shot myself in the foot by trying to scrub it at the time as I think it's just soaked through too much. Tried the vinegar and now just have a wet, vinegary, uriney mattress which is about the least inviting thing to sleep on possible!

Ah well. Expensive lesson. Poorly snuggles are lovely but next time she's lying on a plastic sheet!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now