Talk

Advanced search

How to clean a dishwasher

(11 Posts)
beadyboo Tue 07-Mar-17 10:17:35

After emptying my new-ish dishwasher this morning I've noticed orange sludgy stuff collecting in the corners. It's obviously due a long hot wash on empty, but should I use regular dishwasher tablet, just do it totally empty or is there some other fabulous hack I need to know? Bicarbonate of soda or the like?

LuxuryWoman2017 Tue 07-Mar-17 16:41:52

I use white vinegar, Good for limescale and getting rid of smells. Do clean the seals regularly, they get disgusting!

Schoolchauffeur Tue 07-Mar-17 16:46:30

I bung in white vinegar and bicarb sometimes but also buy those bottles of stuff you can buy in the supermarket- you just break the seal and stick it in dishwasher upside down on a very hot wash. Smells lovely

SillyMoomin Tue 07-Mar-17 16:48:30

Don't forget to take out all the filters (including the flat "bottom" filter) and give them a good scrub with an old toothbrush. Mine need doing every 2 months, always slimy and greasy and with fat build ups

Previously1488218868 Fri 10-Mar-17 13:01:27

Use washing soda not bicarb. A cupful in the bottom and a hot wash.

If you are using Lidl tablets I would suggest getting something else because they are phosphate free now and do not remove grease since they changed the formula a while ago. I still have some and am finding that I often need to re-wash stuff, so am alternating between them until they are used up, and Finish which cost more but actually work and don't leave gunk.

LittleWingSoul Mon 13-Mar-17 20:58:46

Good heads up Re the lidl tablets previously, I've annoyingly just bough a big box and as we recently moved home I thought the dishwasher was just a bit rubbish, but maybe it's the tablets!

I read on another thread recently that Finish have also recently changed their ingredients (for the worse) but you reckon otherwise?

And YY to cleaning the seals... I think this is an issue for some machines more than others. The one in our new house had clearly never been done as it was black mouldy greasy gunk (yuck!) when I first discovered it... Now wipe over daily. Our machine in our previous house didn't have this issue at all.

LittleWingSoul Mon 13-Mar-17 20:59:20

I said recently 3 times.

MinniesAndMickeysNeedCounting Thu 16-Mar-17 20:15:06

This may be a stupid question but where do you put the white vinegar?

My dishwasher has recently started getting a orange sludge in one corner, I've run a dishwasher cleaner through it twice cleaned filters and wiped through the inside but it keeps reappearing

LuxuryWoman2017 Thu 16-Mar-17 21:10:39

I just tip it straight into the machine

MinniesAndMickeysNeedCounting Fri 17-Mar-17 13:01:30

Thanks luxury blush

LuxuryWoman2017 Fri 17-Mar-17 13:33:09

Great for washing machines too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now