Talk

Advanced search

Diary/calendar for family activities - paper or electronic?

(11 Posts)
Honey1975 Mon 06-Mar-17 18:17:06

I've got a calendar on the wall which works well for an overview of all the family activities going on.
I also use my phone to diarise things mainly so that I can use the reminder thing to pop up & remind me of all the zillions of things I would otherwise forget!
I do miss having a paper diary as I like having an overview in front of me &'adding notes/lists etc. Not sure I could cope with having to update in 3 places though!

What do you use, paper, electronic or both?

AveEldon Mon 06-Mar-17 18:40:29

I use paper and then a fridge whiteboard for the week ahead

Like this one www.organised-mum.co.uk/magnetic-family-organiser.html

yorkshirepuddingandroastbeef Mon 06-Mar-17 18:41:07

Google calendar

I access it from my laptop and iPhone. No need for a paper diary. You can set events to recur so only need to enter them once not every year (i.e. Birthdays, appointments, etc.). You can also add a shed load of details to the appointment so full address for the location and lots of details in the notes section. This was really handy when my Mum had lots of hospital appointments and I wanted to remember what was said. For Birthdays, I always update the event with what I bought (i.e. 2017 socks and matey bubble bath, 2016 soap on a rope, 2015 underpants, etc.).

yorkshirepuddingandroastbeef Mon 06-Mar-17 18:41:27

I also 'invite' DH to appointments. grin

doyouthinkso Mon 06-Mar-17 18:44:37

Shared google calendar in this house. Means DH can add work and sport commitments straight from his work calendar

ChasingAPinkBall Tue 07-Mar-17 09:18:44

I have a family calendar so DH can see what's going on. I update my Google calendar on my phone so I have my diary accessible wherever I am and I also have a bullet journal which satisfies the part of me that likes to write things down and see things in paper format.
I don't really mind updating 3 things. I sit on an evening and spend 10 mins looking at my journal, putting in new appointments, shopping lists etc.

chantico Tue 07-Mar-17 09:30:11

I have a paper diary which has columns for each family member (used to be a Dodo Pad, is now a 'Mum's Diary' from Rymans (which has that name on the packaging, but not on the diary itself which is plain with just the year stamped on it, so it looks like a grown up one IYSWIM).

I don't use the one on the iPad.

But an electronic one that is shared by all family members might have its uses. Can that be done with the Google one on iPhones?

twocockers Tue 07-Mar-17 09:33:18

Google calendar all the way here. I also get an email sent to me each morning telling me what's happening that day. Great for family use as everyone uses the same thing so no double bookings.

We use iPhones and iPads.

KikiDeliversCakes Tue 07-Mar-17 09:34:44

We have a paper calendar on the kitchen wall for major events and also use a raft of individual and shared Google calendars (well, I do. Kids cba to update, but have their phones glued to them so can always refer to what they are doing that I have put on their calendars.)

doyouthinkso Tue 07-Mar-17 10:16:26

Twocockers-
How do you get it to email you each day?

twocockers Fri 17-Mar-17 12:40:25

@doyouthinkso

On a pc click on the setting cog and go to labs

Then go to calendar tab on the left and under each calendar alter the notification sections

It's the daily agenda bit near the bottom

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now