Talk

Advanced search

Bleach-able carpets??? HELP!

(12 Posts)
SometimesMyMumComesOutMyMouth Sun 05-Mar-17 09:58:48

So we've recently renovated our house and had all new carpet laid throughout.
Looked at them today and thought they looked like they could do with a good stiff brush.
On my hands and knees brushing the carpets and there's more little marks on there than I first thought.
Mentioned to my OH about hiring a carpet cleaner and his response was "Why? We bought carpets you can bleach we'll just do that."
I'm a bit dubious as I've never been one to use bleach really in all my cleaning so wouldn't want to get it wrong.

How do I go about using bleach to clean my carpets and does it really work???

DianaMemorialJam Sun 05-Mar-17 10:02:22

I used to use bleach on my old carpets as they weren't wool

I used to make up a solution of bleach and water and get scrubbing. Worked well

Just test it on an inconspicuous corner and get cracking

wowfudge Sun 05-Mar-17 10:16:47

Get a better vacuum cleaner too. Are you sure you aren't just seeing the different fibres which make up the carpet?

Spam88 Sun 05-Mar-17 11:16:10

I haven't tried it, but we have polypropylene carpets and apparently you can just pour near bleach. I do use bleach wipes on it occasionally for stains.

MongerTruffle Sun 05-Mar-17 11:20:49

Dilute bleach with water and try it on a small patch first (eg under the sofa).

If it stains or does something else horrible to the carpet, get a wet/dry vacuum. Much better value than hiring a carpet cleaner.

SometimesMyMumComesOutMyMouth Sun 05-Mar-17 12:35:56

Thanks all. Think I'm going to try on a small patch behind the sofa first.
Wow I have a dyson and there's nothing wrong with it. The problem was stains where I think my DCs have spilt stuff and wiped it up but not well enough so there's still a slight mark.
Do you dilute bleach as per instructions on the bottle of bleach? (Can't you tell I'm a total bleaching novice)

DianaMemorialJam Sun 05-Mar-17 12:59:49

I used to just squirt a load into a washing up bowl and top up with water. Never did specific measurements

Leviticus Mon 06-Mar-17 11:38:17

I've bleached mine using a diluted solution to great effect after a tip from a friend. Amazing on beige where it gets grey patches - looks really fresh afterwards and doesn't actually 'bleach' the colour out. No idea how it works but it does.

littleducks Mon 06-Mar-17 11:41:20

Do you scrub or wash with bleach solution and sponge?

DianaMemorialJam Mon 06-Mar-17 11:56:57

Don't use a sponge, use a white bristled scrubbing brush to ensure no transfer of colour from the bristles. I use an old washing up scrubbing brush from pound land

littleducks Mon 06-Mar-17 14:12:59

Thank you will try later in the week after buying a brush

Leviticus Mon 06-Mar-17 21:03:58

I'd spray the solution on and rub it in quite firmly with an old cloth - a piece of old white towel would be ideal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: