Advanced search

Would you risk machine washing this cushion cover

(14 Posts)
Mcchickenbb41 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:23:59

As the above says

Beckyb1 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:37:25

I would, on a delicates wash...but I'm a risk taker... grin

Bluntness100 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:39:01

I would also on a delicates wash. I wash all mine.

wobblywonderwoman Tue 28-Feb-17 14:40:27

I would - definitely. Maybe just a quick wash first to see if it is ok

Mcchickenbb41 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:43:25

Ok Thankyou all. I will take a walk on the wild side and report back ......

Muddlingalongalone Tue 28-Feb-17 14:46:37

I shrunk one at the weekend so I say no. I have stretched it out and stuffed the cushion back in but it's just a bit bumpy and ruined

Mcchickenbb41 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:51:59

grin oh great just read this as machine jumped into life. I'd prefer these not to shrink but if they do its not the end of the world. However the ones I'm really worried about are the ones that came with the sofa so I think I'll dc those ones

Muddlingalongalone Tue 28-Feb-17 14:58:25

I didn't realise that mine was dry clean though and put it on a normal wash. Delicates would have been a good idea!

yorkshirepuddingandroastbeef Tue 28-Feb-17 15:00:57

Yes, on a delicate wash.

I've washed loads of dry clean things with great success. grin

Mcchickenbb41 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:02:54

I think often dc only is put as a safety measure on the retailers part. I'm so loathed to spend money on Dc items that weren't that expensive. An example of this is I had two throws that were Dc only. They cost £17.50 each and I kid you not cost exactly that to get them cleaned. I may as well have brought new ones. Dh dropped them into the cleaners so I didn't realise until it was to late. Oh well they are on now on a delicate wash so fingers crossed.

WildCherryBlossom Tue 28-Feb-17 15:09:12

I wash my dry clean only sofa cushion covers all the time because my children are cretinous filthy beasts and they have been fine. Just iron very carefully afterwards to make them look smart again.

Mcchickenbb41 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:11:47

Thanks wild. Yes I'll iron them inside out to avoid iron marks.

Bluntness100 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:13:59

You need to watch the ones that come with the sofa. Unless they are just scatter cushions, if they are big Ones that make up the back then be careful as unless it's very old they are treated with a fire retardant gel due to legal requirements and washing can make it go all bumpy and render it useless. For those I would get an upholstery cleaner in to do the whole sofa.

I had big 24 x 24 cushions on my old sofa and I simply replaced the cushion covers. Freshens up the look too.

Mcchickenbb41 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:34:49

Thanks bluntness. I thought as I typed the above that I made it sound like the actual sofa ones. No I'd never risk washing those. No it's the scatter cushions that came with it. They are cream velvet types and tbf they are holding up well but could do with a freshener. There are no care instructions in those at all weirdly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now