Talk

Advanced search

Stainless steel or White sink for period house and other kitchen comments

(13 Posts)
FlourishingMrs Sun 26-Feb-17 22:55:57

Hello Everyone, we are just finalising a new kitchen. We have two DC including a new born.

What are your thoughts on sink. We want a double sink but not sure on material.

We also have a huge table in the kitchen, currently in the middle of the kitchen. If we moved it to the back wall we could have an island. Which is currently on the back wall in a place that would suit a dresser.

We are not sure on having an island (with table shoved to the back wall) or Dresser on wall but table the middle. No space otherwise, we are finding the kitchen more sociable with table in the middle, although the kitchen in not small, an island provided even more work space.

wowfudge Sun 26-Feb-17 23:19:16

We have an Edwardian house and I shall be glad to be rid of the two Belfast sinks. We're having undermounted stainless steel instead, in a large, shaped island with composite worktop. The kitchen we've ordered is a painted inframe shaker style from DIY Kitchens. We have a separate dining room off the kitchen though.

FlourishingMrs Sun 26-Feb-17 23:29:31

Lucy you Wowfudge, our kitchen is actually what would have been the dining room. Kitchens back then where on the bottom floor apparently.

Soon the kitchen floor we have a living room, we didn't use the dining room much in our old house so opted for his and hers living rooms. Mine is the classy one and DP has all the modern gadgets.

In short we need the dining table in the kitchen.Why do you prefer stainless still? I currently have a white sink which needs Cif a few times a week. But in looks nice. Black granite worktops

Ferrisday Sun 26-Feb-17 23:48:08

Loved this from IKEA
I've always loved ceramic

I went for siligranit this time, because of size of the sink. It's a bit different

Ferrisday Sun 26-Feb-17 23:48:55

I don't like undermounted cos I always feel like I don't know if that bit you can't see is clean

FlourishingMrs Mon 27-Feb-17 01:23:27

You have good standards Farrisday, I have similar

wowfudge Mon 27-Feb-17 08:02:38

I prefer stainless steel because it is more hygienic, easy to clean, doesn't break things if you drop them into it and doesn't chip when you drop things into it. Having had three Belfast sinks over the years, the surface on the bottom wears unless you use a washing up bowl and they chip fairly easily, even if you are careful. That means they are porous and prone to bacteria getting into them. That just doesn't happen with stainless steel. I don't want the sink to be a big feature in our kitchen.

We had two undermounted Belfast sinks in this house - I've just sold one we've taken out. The overhang of the worktop round the sink is easy to clean, you just clean it when you clean the sink. There is silicone or adhesive which means water and bacteria can't penetrate the join.

The stainless steel sink will be better because the way that is fitted you don't get a lip of overhanging worktop as the sink has a inch or so border around the edge which gets sandwiched between the worktop and the unit it sits in. We're having a composite worktop which isn't porous.

TollgateDebs Mon 27-Feb-17 16:09:45

Had a white enamel belfast and agree with above comments. Any grit they mark or scratch and no matter how well you treat them, they still misbehave. We now have a deep, belfast like, stainless steel under counter sink and would recommend.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 27-Feb-17 16:12:46

We have double Belfast sink and another in the utility and love them. I have a basin on one side to stop breakages and regularly bleach it to help with stains.

Ramona75 Sun 05-Mar-17 07:10:24

White Belfast sink all the way;-)

dudsville Sun 05-Mar-17 07:18:55

Granite and man made sinks are both porous and get and stay dirty/stained. Ceramic may chip but it's v easy to keep clean. Stainless steel... I live in a hard water area so not for me.

FlourishingMrs Tue 07-Mar-17 21:10:32

Thank you ladies, stuck on worktops now

Chloe1984 Thu 09-Mar-17 15:18:32

If you live in a hardwater area then I'd avoid stainless steel, mine never looks clean no matter what I try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now