Talk

Advanced search

Landlording taking us to court

(4 Posts)
EmsxX123 Sun 26-Feb-17 09:57:15

[QUOTE=Emma H(2897);17269418]So this is going to be a long one I've just turned 22. pregnant got 6 weeks left I've got two children 5 and 2. so I lived in my old two bedroom flat with my partner 3 years we didn't give the landlord a deposit because we don't have the money and he said that's fine just gave him the four weeks in advance. just moved out and now we have a problem so don't really know how to explain the carpet wasn't new when we got there they had already been there with the other tenants so what time we left the carpet would already been the six years old we had a cat who sometimes miss the litter tray and made a part of the carpet smell and scratching of a little bit of the carpet and then obviously the stains from three years having two kids and no table and chairs to eat from. general wear and tear the walls were mouldy but they had always been like that. We got a text from the landlord saying we have to pay for new carpets I said I would help pay towards but I don't think that we should pay for new carpets when there wasn't even knew when we got there in the first place I was willing to pay £200 towards everything because we're about to have a baby I don't have any more money with just moving house and I got loans moving house we then don't hear from him for a couple of weeks. his handyman came down and wrote down things that needed fixing not just from us but some general stuff as well think. Also the whole bathroom needs replacing just because it's old so we moved out the handyman came in to start doing the work and we got a text from the landlord saying we owe him £1,000 which was not what the handyman said when he came round doing the list I told landlord we will give him £200 because that's all I can afford and I don't really feel that we caused enough damage to come to £1,000 the landlord then text again saying that he can justify four times the amount he chas offered. we offered him the money £200 and he's text again so if you don't pay £1,000 by 28th of February he will start legal proceedings but he never done in inventory and I'm not sure where we stand what will happen I don't think hes got a case but not .sure I would love any advice give him a really just feel he's trying to get the most money out of us that he can thank you please no horrible coments.

BookHunter Sun 26-Feb-17 10:01:51

Get in touch with shelter, , homeless charity but give advice on housing issues. Once you have information get your mp on board.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 26-Feb-17 10:02:39

Ignore him. He's a douchebag.

Did you sign an inventory? If not he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

UpLighter Sun 26-Feb-17 10:29:45

Good points already.
Use the shelter and cab's website and helpline.
Did you have permission for the cat?
Without an inventory they will find any success in court difficult.
I would say they are bluffing and trying to bully the highest amount from you.
The figure should come from the proportion of damage against the length of item life and wear and tear. This should be quantifiable so I would ask to see their working outs. Especially if they feel it should be 4 X as much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now