Talk

Advanced search

WWYD - Cleaner taking rubbish

(10 Posts)
legolammb Fri 24-Feb-17 09:50:52

We have a weekly cleaner - she's filling in for our regular cleaner who is on sick leave for the next month. She does a good job and we've had no cause for complaint. We give her 20% more than the agency say to give for hourly rate and are careful about not leaving the house too messy. Usually I let her in then go out whilst she's here. I came back earlier than usual and she was still here. She had her bag in the hall - an open tote bag and I saw there was a gift bag in it that I'd thrown away. Usually I reuse gift bags from presents but this was a bit tattered so I threw it out and left in one of the small bedroom bins. I'm a bit concerned by this - obviously it was of no value to me and in the bin, but it's more the principle. I've not noticed anything else missing but now I feel like I need to check and be careful - it's taken away the trust a bit. She should only be with us for another month or so - would you mention it to the agency or keep quiet?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 24-Feb-17 09:52:10

She took an item of rubbish? confused .

zzzzz Fri 24-Feb-17 09:52:25

Wouldn't bother me AT ALL. It was in the binconfused

hooliodancer Fri 24-Feb-17 09:55:06

It was rubbish though. Why would this make you not trust her? She thought you wouldn't be back before she left so presumably she believed that she couldn't ask you if she could take it.

FinallyHere Fri 24-Feb-17 09:56:04

I think of this as effortless recycling, I am delighted when my castoffs gain a new least of life.

We have become lazy, just leave out anything we no longer want for the worlds best most convenient service. Why wouldn't I be glad?

Popsythe1st Fri 24-Feb-17 09:57:59

Wouldn't bother me at all

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 24-Feb-17 09:58:24

I am a cleaner and I have taken things from the rubbish!! Someones trash is someone else's treasure!! I have keys to a dozen houses, I have never ever stolen from any of my clients and wouldn't dream of doing so. But stuff destined for the bin is not theft!!

Hassled Fri 24-Feb-17 10:01:40

Gift bags are usually quite pretty card, aren't they? She probably does arty-crafty clever stuff and saw some use for it - I really wouldn't get het up over something like this. It's no betrayal of trust - it was in your bin.

legolammb Fri 24-Feb-17 10:06:01

Thanks all - very sleep-deprived and migrainey this week so completely accept that I've probably overreacted and don't need to worry about it. She does a good job so definitely not something I'll mention

BridgeRiverTower Fri 24-Feb-17 10:08:11

This wouldn't bother me at all. I've set things aside for charity and our cleaner went through it and wanted it all. I'd be glad that something was being recycled!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now