Talk

Advanced search

Dishwasher not cleaning properly

(38 Posts)
Figglesticks Thu 23-Feb-17 13:52:32

How can I clean my dishwasher properly so that it stops leaving dirt on the things I put in there?
I've tried using those dishwasher cleaner bottles you can buy and put in but two of them haven't done anything. Could it be blocked? I'm renting and this dishwasher is part of the kitchen. I have my own dishwasher in storage that I know works but no space to put it.
Obviously DP doesn't check anything and puts the just washed but still dirty crockery/cups/etc back and I'm fed up with going to get a cup of tea and having to pull out 10 cups before finding a clean one and putting those ten cups through the dishwasher over and over. I've been handwashing everything but the cleaning isn't always my job and DP refuses to hand wash when he has a dishwasher sad
Does anyone have any really good tips/tricks I can use to blast it and make it do it's job again?

LIZS Thu 23-Feb-17 13:56:18

Have you checked the filter and that the spray arms aren't blocked? Also that the hose hasn't kinked.

ThisNight Thu 23-Feb-17 13:57:47

I find that I need to clean the filter at least twice a week. I've also read that all in one tabs may not have sufficient salt/rinse aid depending on area, so I add both - am in a hard water area.

pinkunicornsarefluffy Thu 23-Feb-17 13:59:36

I always clear the filter once a week and check the holes in the spray arms as they can become blocked.

Figglesticks Thu 23-Feb-17 14:01:49

I've checked and cleaned the filter but there never seems to be anything in there at all. I didn't know the spray arms could get blocked how would I fix that? Some heavy duty kitchen cleaner? I'll have to ask my DP to move the dishwasher to look at the hose I didn't think of that. I always put salt and rinse aid in because I thought you had to but to be honest it doesn't seem to do a lot. Maybe it's the brand I'm buying?

StealthPolarBear Thu 23-Feb-17 14:04:56

I me you have to detach rhe arms and sort of band and jiggle stuff loose

LIZS Thu 23-Feb-17 14:06:38

You should be able to remove the spray arms and check under running water. On ours you can lift the lower one straight off but unscrew the upper one while holding the hub on the rack in place with a spoon handle.

Autumnchill Thu 23-Feb-17 14:15:08

If you're using Finish bin it! They've changed the recipe and both myself and my sister had the same problem. Aldi tablets are brilliant

Figglesticks Thu 23-Feb-17 14:43:25

I'll detach the arms when I get in and I am using finish so I'll pop in and get something else. I'm not anywhere near an Aldi as far as I'm aware though.

Autumnchill Thu 23-Feb-17 14:57:31

Run a couple of cycles with anything but Finish and then see if it's changed before you start dismantling it. I was on the verge of calling an Engineer out we had cleaned filters etc

MrsJayy Thu 23-Feb-17 15:03:50

Arms come off fine rinse through with water it is usually a pea or bit of sweetcorn in mine. We inherited the dishwasher when we moved here it is intergrated and it isnt the best however top mumsnet tip i read here a fortnight ago just chuck thd tablet in the cutlery bit my god it works a treat I used to double dishwash before that.

Chopchopbusybusy Thu 23-Feb-17 15:05:02

Not all dishwashers have removable arms so be a bit careful.
When ours doesn't clean properly it's always the filter.

Endmoor1405 Thu 23-Feb-17 15:11:43

I would definitely check the filter and also bin the finish- it really is crap nowadays.

Also a point worth considering is how you are loading the dishwasher. My SIL declared her dishwasher was broken and wasn't cleaning stuff when in actual fact it was because the new plates she had bought were catching the sprayer arm and stopping it from spinning round. Once she worked out how to raise the top level and also stopped double layering suddenly the problem was fixed!!

Endmoor1405 Thu 23-Feb-17 15:13:18

Oh and- I've only just thought of this because it happened with ours. I know you say you add salt but have you tried emptying out the salt compartment and filling fully with fresh? Ours got damp in there somehow and stopped using it and I was none the wiser until stuff was dirty and I noticed no salt had gone down. Cleaned it out as best I could and it runs a lot better now!

Maverick66 Thu 23-Feb-17 17:13:06

I use Fairy Platinum but find I also have to top up with rinse aid. If I don't cups come out scummy.

Figglesticks Fri 24-Feb-17 10:25:17

I went over everything yesterday. Did one of those clean bottle things (x2 bottles) in the longest wash possible and really made sure the filter was clean. Checked the salt compartment and it was filled with water so I've emptied it and put new salt in and let it clean itself over night. When I get in from work I shall update! When we moved in the lady who was here before had never cleaned the dishwasher or washing machine (black mound all over everything despite her only moving out two days prior) and the place stank of whatever monsters lurked in there. The fridge was terrible as well and the cooker was swimming in grease. The washing machine had all sorts clogging up the filter so there would be no shock on my part to find the dishwasher having a few things clogging it up as well.

Figglesticks Fri 24-Feb-17 10:25:39

I've got myself some fairy as well instead of finish

chloechloe Fri 24-Feb-17 12:08:12

I've been having problems with ours too despite having tried nearly all of the above tips and it's driving me mad!

Stupid question but how do you get the water out the salt compartment? I always assumed the water was supposed to be in there (it runs out when I fill it with salt). Maybe that's the issue!

e1y1 Fri 24-Feb-17 14:53:48

Run a couple of cycles with anything but Finish and then see if it's changed before you start dismantling it. I was on the verge of calling an Engineer out we had cleaned filters etc

Are they really that bad Autumn, just has my monthly delivery of them today, and sure enough, the ingredients have changed. As I'm sad, I actually knew a while ago that Finish's ingredients were changing and even which ingredient was being removed, just didn't know when.

I hope that they're not abysmal for everyone, you'd think Finish would have come up with a quality formulation while facilitating the ingredient change.

Autumnchill Fri 24-Feb-17 18:19:10

BIL owns a kitchen company and he use to swear by Finish, he now tells all his customers not to use it.

RamsayBoltonsConscience Fri 24-Feb-17 18:22:58

I've been having the same problem and tried everything then I put in a limescale remover. That did the trick and it is cleaning much better now.

ExcuseMyEyebrows Fri 24-Feb-17 18:24:46

Aldi have changed the ingredients in their tablets too, they're not as good as they used to be sad

witwootoodleoo Fri 24-Feb-17 18:29:07

Another vote for Fairy Platinum plus separate rinse aid and salt.

If the spray arms seem blocked a toothpick normally does the job if you give them a poke and run hot water through

KatyBerry Fri 24-Feb-17 18:31:43

May I be the first to say leave the bastard?

Maverick66 Fri 24-Feb-17 18:35:21

Katyberry gringringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now