Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Considering a pocket money/ chore system - any advice?

(6 Posts)
abc12345 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:26:19

Hello, I have 3 boys (2/5/7) and the workload is far too big for just me. I'm thinking about setting up some kind of pocket money for chores system to get them to help with dishes, pairing socks, laying the table, etc (without me nagging and moaning all the time)
Has anyone a system like this in place? How does it work? Especially with what the smaller ones can do?

SunnySomer Mon 20-Feb-17 18:36:44

Gosh. I'm not sure 2, or even 5, is old enough to comprehend money. My DH gives 9yo DS £1 if he washes the car and does a good job of it.
If you want them to do jobs it may be better to use something tangible and meaningful as a benefit (e.g. x no of Stars on a chart -> CBeebies magazine or whatever).
If I'm going to be honest, our DS doesn't care that much about "earning" - if he doesn't feel like doing a job, he just won't do it (unless we tell him he has to). He started keeping his bedroom tidy because he chose how to decorate it and became proud of it. Maybe you need to start out by working out what motivates each of your boys?

SunnySomer Mon 20-Feb-17 18:37:31

(PS - is there a DP in the picture who can help you?!)

abc12345 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:50:34

I know it seems a bit young but my 2 year old does seem to copy what the bigger ones do (like taking his plate to the dishwasher, getting cuttlery out of the draw etc) and doesn't like to be left out.

I was thinking they could set their own target (which would be wildly different) and save up for it via chores, putting a small amount of money in a jar or something along those lines. However, they are competitive boys and I don't want to cause any 'it's not fair' trouble (especially with the expectations of each age).
I was hoping someone might have some ideas for me...

Mehfruittea Mon 20-Feb-17 20:08:10

Try an app called ChoreMonster - my 5 yr old loves it. Very good for boys.

HoneyDragon Mon 20-Feb-17 20:12:36

At that age mine had bottles with their name on. We had a tin of marbles too, each marble was worth 10p. They were allowed to cash them in if they wished on a Friday. They loved picking the marbles and dropping them in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now