Talk

Advanced search

Great pile of art magazines - must declutter

(11 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Sun 19-Feb-17 23:03:03

In the corner of our bedroom I have an ever growing pile of art magazines. I have kept them as reference but they are now beyond acceptability and I must do something with at least half of them. They are The Artist, The Leisure Painter, Royal Academy and Art Trust magazines. I asked in a charity shop but they were not interested. They are not cheap to buy and I know lots of retired people paint so tried to tell them they might be sold for around 20 pence. They cost over £4 each. I am loath to chuck them in the recycling so am looking for inspiration. I can't put them in folders. There are too many and all my book cases are heaving. Anyone else with a similar problem and a solution? Surgeries don't want them. Pleased to be helped!

DearMrDilkington Sun 19-Feb-17 23:04:23

Stick them on gumtree for free, someone might want them.

Akire Sun 19-Feb-17 23:04:31

Freecycle a local school maybe happy take them for GSCE or primary cutting up!

elQuintoConyo Sun 19-Feb-17 23:05:19

Rip out the pages you want to keep and put them in a folder.

Take photos of articles you'd like to re-read and archive them.

Take them to a toddler group/nursery where little ones can cut them up and make mad collages!

mybrainhurtsalot Sun 19-Feb-17 23:08:08

i don't know the magazines at all, but might a university/college be interested?

Or you could offer on Freegle. Or put them on eBay as a job lot?

NanTheWiser Mon 20-Feb-17 12:21:03

Same here! But only The Leisure Artist (I'm keeping Artist International and Pastel Journals). I'll be happy to give away to local people, and intended to put them on my local Streetlife site, but that is now transferring to Nextdoor site, so that's where they will be advertised (when I get around to it). You could try local Art clubs - bound to be some near you.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 20-Feb-17 13:08:30

Art course at local college or university? Or ask at the local college of a student wants them?
Local library?

Or, local prison library- they are often in need of these for resources for lads doing courses in education and also to read/ make cards etc. Now that families can no longer send in resources such as this they are in very short supply.

HappydaysArehere Tue 21-Feb-17 07:57:55

Thank you so much. What great ideas! I have never used Steetlife and will look up Nextdoor site. There isn't a prison nearby but that would have been a good idea. El Quinto, thank you for your idea of extracting various articles and storing them. I didn't expect so many ideas. I will also contact the local art society in case I could deposit them there. Going to the Russian Art exhibition today at the Royal Academy but tomorrow it is down on my knees and begin the massive sorting out.

HappydaysArehere Tue 21-Feb-17 08:06:23

Update - do has just said he thinks the prison idea is a good one. He is going to contact Brixton and ask them if they are interested. In which case he said we could box them up and take them there. Says the journey won't be too bad. So thanks again.

RedBugMug Tue 21-Feb-17 08:09:42

local library?
often they run community courses.

thenewaveragebear1983 Tue 21-Feb-17 10:54:07

Just a thought re prison libraries- the prison may refuse them as they (hmp) don't run the libraries. The local authority for the area will run the library as a 'branch' of the public library, or at least this's was the case at the prison I worked at. So it might be worth contacting the local library to the prison and asking to make a donation to the prison library? They will have to check them all etc for security reasons so the library staff might be more likely/willing to do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now