Talk

Advanced search

How to get rid of mould on wooden window frames?

(4 Posts)
BeBe32 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:07:17

Hi everyone,

My window frames are wooden and very old (rented property) and have horrible mould on them. I have some HG mould spray but it says you can't use it on wood - does anyone have any tips on how best to clean them?

Thank you!

xx

loinnir Sat 18-Feb-17 16:49:39

The HG spray has strong bleach in it which should get rid of the really black lumps and solid long bits around the frame and window. It will not usually get rid of the tiny black spots that are ingrained in the wood. The instructions say the HG spray isn't suitable for wood because it can strip bits of the paint off sometimes, especially if it is old paint and already flaky and might undermine old putty. You could try a very dilute bleach solution which would be less strong than the HG spray (or water it down a bit) - this is what I usually do and dry the wood well afterwards. Throw away the mould covered cloths. I also use a toothbrush to get into crevices.

FluffyFerrets Sat 18-Feb-17 18:36:00

Best stuff I've ever used is Cilit bang for mould (black bottle) it gets used everywhere in here - plastic, wood and plaster. I don't think it's meant to be used on wood but it's the only thing I've found that actually works and keeps the mould away for a while.
Word of warning - if anyone in the house suffers with chest problems do please be very careful. I have mild asthma and I can not be in the room if a large area needs to be done as it kills me. My oh does it for me then airs everywhere out.

BeBe32 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:16:36

Thanks for the replies, that's really helpful - I'll give these a go!

xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now