Talk

Advanced search

How to get blood out of clothing?

(21 Posts)
ihatethecold Fri 17-Feb-17 18:48:43

My dd seems to be having a few leakage issues in regards to her periods.
I've tried to get the stains out of her grey tracky bottoms and some of her underwear without much luck.
I use Persil non bio and spray stain remover before washing.
I also add a whitening liquid to the wash.
None of it seems to work.
I've tried a 30 degree wash initially thinking it wouldn't set the stain.
What else can I do?

namechange20050 Fri 17-Feb-17 18:50:52

You need biological powder. The enzymes will eat the stain. I would also spray it first with some oxygen stain remover or Ace bleach.

AndNowItsSeven Fri 17-Feb-17 18:52:17

Soak in cold salt water.

Crumbs1 Fri 17-Feb-17 18:53:26

Cold very salty water then vanish.

PersisFord Fri 17-Feb-17 18:54:45

Biotex soak first then rub with vanish soap and wash. All in cold water though or it sets the stain.

Sherlock35 Fri 17-Feb-17 18:56:16

Always try and flush the stain through with cold water first

BuffyFan Fri 17-Feb-17 19:07:08

Ok, so not the most practical of solutions, but spit gets out blood. But i don't imagine you'll be wanting to spit on her pants and rub it in grin

tarheelbaby Fri 17-Feb-17 19:07:24

Blood is a stain but treated correctly can be removed. As others say, soak in cold water. Do give it a few hours or overnight to work b/c this is a key bit of the process. Make sure the affected area is not touching a clean part of the item. Hand scrub the stain with Imperial Leather and rinse a bit but not totally. Add to suitable load of regular washing. As a side note, I highly recommend Cusson's Imperial Leather for shifting all kinds of stains and especially 'bodily' ones.

Artandco Fri 17-Feb-17 19:40:05

Hot water sets stains, so always cold wash first

ihatethecold Fri 17-Feb-17 23:30:57

So if I've already washed them in 40 degrees am I too late to get rid of the blood stain.

loinnir Sat 18-Feb-17 17:02:55

Maybe - but try the above anyway. I have had good results from soaking in cold water overnight in a biological washing powder. I have also used Ace bleach and a cotton bud and dabbed away at smaller stains in sheets etc that refused to shift after many soaks and washes. In future try not to let the stain dry (hard I know as teens never tell you about them) and yes to cold water soaking/washing.

MyKidsHaveTakenMySanity Sat 18-Feb-17 17:08:01

I've found that many old and new stains will shift with a Vanish soap bar. The powder and liquids however were next to useless.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Sat 18-Feb-17 17:10:55

Milk

PersisFord Sat 18-Feb-17 19:56:41

I'm a big fan of overnight soaking in biotex, then the vanish bar. Really scrub with the vanish and cold water. I reckon that will shift it.

GlassSeahorse Sat 18-Feb-17 19:59:05

Ace bleach. I frequently came home from work with blood on my uniform and nothing shifted it like Ace! It foams up on the blood, normal wash and it's gone.

RedBugMug Sat 18-Feb-17 20:01:51

bio powder, the enzymes in it break down the stains.
soak in cold water/bio powder, then wash as usual.
with a bit of luck it will come out. hanging out in the sun also bleaches stains well.
if not, it will fade over time...

NannyR Sat 18-Feb-17 20:06:02

Soak in cold, salty water then wash with bio at 30 degrees. That's how I wash my cloth pads and they always come out stain free.

ihatethecold Sat 18-Feb-17 21:15:01

Thanks everyone.
I will give it a go.

dementedpixie Sun 19-Feb-17 13:40:48

My Dd gets less leakage since she started using big Kotex nighttime towels. They are old style and bulky like a brick but they don't leak like the others she tried.

Soak in cold water and then wash with bio powder. You can also try rubbing household soap or washing up liquid into the stains prior to washing

dementedpixie Sun 19-Feb-17 13:42:13

For daytime she also likes Kotex daytime towels. Teen towels were too short for her. What towels is she using?

ihatethecold Sun 19-Feb-17 14:42:24

bodyform thin style ones

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now