Talk

Advanced search

Argh.. My rug stinks!

(5 Posts)
houston101 Fri 17-Feb-17 13:47:45

DD1 is coming to the end of potty training but had an accident (wee) on the rug 3 days ago. I've scrubbed it but it bloody stinks of ammonia and, dare i say it, a little bit fishy. I've used carpet cleaner, bio washing powder, and I can't understand why it still smells so much. I've tried drenching it, i've part dried it with a towel and now it is air drying, in situ. Is there anything else i can do? I can still smell eau de stink..

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 17-Feb-17 13:49:30

1001 carpet freshener mousse spray. . We are in the same position. .

GreyStars Fri 17-Feb-17 13:53:20

There is a great thing called urine off, you can get it on Amazon

Actually destroys the urine, I've had a very poorly cat on my hands who decided to protest pee all over my rug, and this has removed all trace (checked with a special light) and zero smell.

Also works on human urine as I tested it

HippyChickMama Fri 17-Feb-17 13:57:11

Bicarbonate of soda sprinkled over the rug when it's dry, leave overnight and then vacuum off. Because it's alkaline it neutralises the acid that causes the smell. Works on lingering vomit smells too.

pinwizard Fri 17-Feb-17 14:17:29

Did you use hot water to wash? That can set the smell in. Try sprinkling on bicarbonate of soda, leave for a bit then vacuum. I always used cold water with a bit of fairy liquid and a good slug of white vinegar on wee- vinegar neutralises the smell. Soak up as much as you can before cleaning it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now