Talk

Advanced search

How do I dry this jacket?

(13 Posts)
DeepfriedPizza Mon 13-Feb-17 14:16:01

I have a feather filled jacket from mountain warehouse. I have the special super duper detergent to wash it. On the label it says these ways in which not to dry it:
Near direct heat
In direct sunlight
Only in tumble drier with clean tennis balls or similar
and Do not air dry

How on earth do I dry it?

DubiousCredentials Mon 13-Feb-17 14:17:55

Do not air dry? confused I would put it on a hanger and hang in a doorway with a window or two open nearby. Then finish in tumble dryer but not with any tennis balls.

DubiousCredentials Mon 13-Feb-17 14:18:19

Actually I would probably just never wash it grin

DeepfriedPizza Mon 13-Feb-17 14:20:58

It smells like smoke, it needs washed.
I also don't have a tumble drier or tennis balls grin

DubiousCredentials Mon 13-Feb-17 14:27:27

Febreeze and hang on washing line? I am imagining soggy feathers congealing inside the jacket. That said, I have a down coat that is dry clean only but I just stick it in the washing machine on a gentle cycle and it's been fine.

LowDudgeon Mon 13-Feb-17 14:29:48

It does have to be tumbled with tennis balls or similar. A clean child's trainer would do.

Otherwise you get clumps + empty space. Air dry it & then take it to the laundrette (unless you have a friend with a dryer?)

The ball/shoe thing makes a terrible racket though so laundrette/friend might not like it grin

Lucked Mon 13-Feb-17 14:31:10

Would direct heat not be a radiator?.

LowDudgeon Mon 13-Feb-17 14:32:30

The difference between before & after tumbling with ball/shoe is like magic! Probably worth buying a tennis ball specially (or a tube if you can't get them singly) - then you know it's clean. You can put more than one in to increase buffeting.

LowDudgeon Mon 13-Feb-17 14:34:41

(Also don't use fabric rinse as it removes showerproofing. Labels usually say that)

I've been washing down coats on & off for nearly 50 years smile haven't lost one yet

LowDudgeon Mon 13-Feb-17 14:35:09

40 years! (Fat fingers)

ReginaPhalange1 Mon 13-Feb-17 14:39:22

Same as other posters... wash then leave air dry on bed or towel ... it will take days to dry .. mine has been washed like it for 3 years. No probs.

DeepfriedPizza Mon 13-Feb-17 15:04:58

So I should wash it with no fabric softener, let air dry a bit then take to my mum's to use her dryer whilst she is on holiday grin hopefully she has some tennis balls or a clean shoe

LowDudgeon Mon 13-Feb-17 15:26:00

Sounds like a plan smile

If you have a fairly clean trainer (not smelly) tie it inside a clean pillowcase.

But as you'll be washing the jacket again in future it would be worth buying tennis ball/s (if you can find some in Feb!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now